Conky manager not working

Hi
I installed the latest version of xfce manjaro. Now I want to install the conky manager and set the look. The installation of the conky manager was successful. Now when I select insight nothing happens. Conky doesn’t run and the look doesn’t show. Please how to fix CONKY MANAGER to adjust the appearance.

Thank you

Its old issue, Conky Manager is dead software, you need to convert predefined themes:

1 Like

I don’t know how easy it is to fix the problem. Is there an alternative program for xfce that displays hardware information? Thank you

Conky works just fine without (whatever that is) conky-manager.

1 Like

where to download working skins?

my best way so far…

I’m looking for this look. link below. Don’t know what it’s called or the familiar look? Thank you

Link:

currently one of my conky :wink:

1 Like

I found this video helped me a lot in understanding the settings.

Make Linux Look Better | Conky Desktop - YouTube

[oops, this should not be in reply to nikgnomic!]

Install Conky Manager 2 from AUR.

1. old syntax conky configs can no longer run on the latest version of the conky program that you find in Arch/Manjaro and other more up-to-date distros. So you will need new syntax conky configs or convert your old configs, if you want to continue running conkies in Manjaro

2. Original Conky manager cannot detect conky configs based on the new syntax, so it’s not going to help you manage your collection of new syntax conky configs

3. Conky Manager 2 can detect new syntax conky configs.

I think you confused Conky manager with Grub Customiser.

You are correct I did confuse conky-manager and grub-customizer
Probably because both are allegedly maintained on Launchpad, but the page resembles the Marie Celeste

conky-manager would not cause boot problems, it just won’t work because the developer could not be bothered to run a bash script to convert the old .conkyrc configurations to new syntax conky.conf files

[SOLVED][BIG TIME!] Conky is installed....but where? - Linux Mint Forums
Conky Manager is not part of the default repository because the codebase was abandoned and does not compile under Ubuntu 18.04(Mint 19.x). It was able to work up until Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial, but needs extra issues to go beyond that

I have already converted the old .conkyrc for the Gotham clock theme
(see this post for the full details of how it was originally converted). But I have since modified it to use a different font and color similar to Manjaro styling conky-gotham-manjaro · GitHub
If that file is placed in user home folder ~/.config/conky/cony.conf conky looks like this
conky-manjaro-gotham

users can choose to continue to use a GUI by installing conky-manager2-git, but I consider that they would be missing out on a lot of the potential to adapt conky to suit their needs

In what way? You can click on the “edit” button in the GUI and it will open the config file in your default text editor. I do that all the time.

conky manager 2 does not come with any preinstalled conkies anyway, so it’s up to the user to provide the appropriate new-syntax conkies.

I just find it more convenient to use the GUI to activate more than 1 conky at a time using checkboxes, instead of having to manually change a conky startup script.

There is an open bug report on the maintained github site that is showing preinstalled configurations
Third-Party Conkys · Issue #9 · zcot/conky-manager2 · GitHub

If this package no longer has pre-installed configurations, I do not see much point to building a 76.7kB git package for a button to open a file in a text editor, compared to opening a 1.4kB text file in the same text editor

The convenience I like is set out in my last paragraph above. Enabling or disabling a whole ton of conkies with just clicks of the mouse. Instead of editing file paths in the conky startup script. If you like to regularly switch around your conkies from a large collection, it’s helpful.

But those are of course my preferences. Ymmv.

(I just installed cm2 from AUR onto a trial vm 2 days ago. Definitely no conkies preinstalled)

Exactly. Actually, the only good thing about the original conky manager is to be able to click to see conkies, then steal the scripts and delete the manager.

It’s much better to use your own folders and paths and launch your conky/conkies with a script.

Simply running conky from krunner (something I haven’t done for a while) brings up a decent basic desktop config which works okay too.

The most annoying aspect of conky manager is that it doesn’t do anything useful - it doesn’t offer to ‘import and help correct’ older configs. The new software doesn’t have any configs with it.

Here’s one.
I used kwin-effect-osdclock to give me a permanent semi-transparent digital clock that would show on top of fullscreen apps (like when watching movies etc). Now that it’s broken, I use a conky. It doesn’t draw over fullscreen, but if you use krohnkite to tile and undecorate windows, it has the same effect.

Here’s the clock:

conky.config = {
-- Conky settings
	background = true,
	update_interval = 1,
	double_buffer = true,
	no_buffers = true,
	imlib_cache_size = 10,

-- Sampling
	diskio_avg_samples = 2,
	cpu_avg_samples = 2,

-- Window specifications
	gap_x = 20,
	gap_y = 20,
	minimum_width = 0, minimum_height = 0,
	alignment = 'top_right',
	own_window = true,
	own_window_type = 'dock',
	own_window_transparent = true,
	own_window_argb_visual = true,
	own_window_argb_value = 70,
	own_window_hints = 'above, undecorated,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager',
	own_window_class = 'override',

border_inner_margin = 0,
	border_outer_margin = 0,
	graphics = 'settings',

draw_shades = false,
	default_shade_color = '#484848',
	draw_outline = true,
	default_outline_color = '#333',
	draw_borders = false,
	draw_graph_borders = false,
	default_graph_width = 40, default_graph_height = 80,
	show_graph_scale = true,
	show_graph_range = false,
	text = 'settings',

use_xft = true,
	xftalpha = 0.5,
	font = 'Droid Sans:size=10',
	text_buffer_size = 256,
	override_utf8_locale = true,
	useful = 'shortenings',

short_units = true,
	pad_percents = 2,
	top_name_width = 30,
	color = 'scheme',

default_color = '#FFFFFF',
	color1 = '#FFFFFF',
	color2 = '#2dcba5',-- teal
	color3 = '#16a085',-- teal2
	color4 = '#FFFFFF',
	color5 = '#DCDCDC',
--DCDCDC
	color6 = '#FFFFFF',
	color7 = '#aaaaaa',
	color8 = '#A9CFF4',
--A9CFF4

-- iphone wlp0s20u12

};

conky.text = [[
${alignc}${color7}${font arial rounded mt bold:size=32}${time %H:%M}]];

You can hash out or delete specifics that don’t fit your computer. Opening the file with code gives me colour previews (i.e. you could make slight mods to suit a ‘Nordic’ or a ‘Gruv’ or a ‘Creamy’ desktop profile/theme).

Outlined text shows well on light/dark backgrounds (if you use a slideshow).

Here’s a screenshot that shows how the conky actually looks (here I’m actually editing another version for my ‘Gruv’ PlasmaConfigSaver scheme to tune the color).

Annoyingly it isn’t click-through and can be in the way of menu’s, so I mapped the launcher script to a mouse gesture. So if I’m up in the corner and I can’t click my Firefox Joplin icon or something (in tiling mode, the window is maximised) then I draw a ‘7’ which removes the clock, do my click, then draw another 7 to put it back.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.