Battery drain after shutdown with Manjaro XFCE on Laptop

I have Manjaro XFCE 20.0.3 installed on my HP laptop. My laptop has Intel/Nvidia hybrid grphics. It is Nvidia-optimus laptop. The problem is After shutdown, the battery drains about 40% of the battery. I think the laptop didn’t shutdown properly. I observed this problem many times. Previously i used Manjaro KDE. The battery drain after shutdown occured in KDE also. The battery drain is not always happening with every shutdown. I would say 6 out of 10 times, the battery is draining after shutdown. Sometimes, the laptop is shutting down properly and sometimes it is not. I want to know what is causing the battery to drain. Please help me resolve this issue. Thanks in advance.

How do you shutdown?

1 Like

Are you sure is not entering in a hybrid suspend mode, or something that is not actually shutdown?
If you run:
systemctl poweroff
you still notice battery drain next time you turn it on?
Look for some log files that might point to something obvious like:

• watchdog
  • ACPI errors
  • suspend/hibernate issues.

Some Laptops, and since you mentioned HP, require some custom kernel boot parameters as described here:

2 Likes

Batteries naturally, slowly drain themselves on the long run when kept plugged in, even if the device is stopped. That’s why it is recommended to remove batteries from devices you don’t use regularly.

That’s probably not your case, but a reminder still.

4 Likes

Are you sure you are shutting the laptop down and not just using suspend?
In particular the latter can give troubles on newer laptops running Linux if they are configured to use “modern standby”.
Some offer switches in the BIOS, but if not, it might be a bit more complicated to make them suspend correctly.

1 Like

I do normal XFCE shutdown. I click on the shutdown button.

I am shutting down the laptop correctly. In manjaro xfce, i click on the shutdown button. The laptop shuts-down with the message displaying umount: /oldroot/sys: target is busy

Thanks for the reply. My laptop shuts-down with the message saying umount: /oldroot/sys: target is busy. When i turn on the laptop the next day, sometimes i notice the battery charge dropping by 40%. Sometimes, battery doesn’t drain after shutdown.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you wait for it to shut down completely before closing the lid?

This could be a clue. I don’t have such a directory by the way; did you install Xfce “on top” of the KDE installation? …i.e. without formatting the existing / partition?

1 Like

What model of HP?

Which graphics are you using and driver (inxi -G ; mhwd -li; mhwd)?
Are you switching from one to the other?

I read that some users reboot and when they get to the Grub menu they hit the power button or
C and type halt. Could test this and see if it works, and until a long-term solution is found.

The “Failed to umount /oldroot” appears to be this
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/63697
https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/sd-umount-oldroot-sys-systemd-v244/142281

1 Like

Yes. I wait for complete shutdown. before closing the lid.

i formatted my ssd completely and freshly installed XFCE. During installation, i selected, use the entire hard drive option for installation. I think it formats the hard drive completely during installation.

My hp laptop model is HP-AU003TX. The output of inxi -G in terminal gives this:
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 520] driver: i915 v: kernel
Device-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 940MX] driver: nvidia v: 450.66
Device-3: Sunplus Innovation HP Wide Vision HD type: USB driver: uvcvideo
Display: x11 server: XOrg 1.20.8 driver: modesetting,nvidia
unloaded: intel,nouveau resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 520 (SKL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.1.6

First of all, Thanks for the reply. My HP-AU003TX laptop works fine with windows 10. This battery drain problem occurs under linux only. I checked the journalctl -xb for errors and these are the errors i get.

Sep 14 15:34:32 swaroop-laptop kernel: ACPI Error: Needed type [Reference], found [Integer] 00000000431aff9a (20200528/exresop-66)
Sep 14 15:34:32 swaroop-laptop kernel: ACPI Error: AE_AML_OPERAND_TYPE, While resolving operands for [Store] (20200528/dswexec-431)
Sep 14 15:34:32 swaroop-laptop kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method _SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC0.CPUS due to previous error (AE_AML_OPERAND_TYPE) (20200528/psparse-529)
Sep 14 15:34:32 swaroop-laptop kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method _SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC0.SASU due to previous error (AE_AML_OPERAND_TYPE) (20200528/psparse-529)
Sep 14 15:34:32 swaroop-laptop kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method _SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC0.ECMI due to previous error (AE_AML_OPERAND_TYPE) (20200528/psparse-529)
Sep 14 15:34:32 swaroop-laptop kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method _SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC0._REG due to previous error (AE_AML_OPERAND_TYPE) (20200528/psparse-529)

I checked the post regarding the acpi errors in hp laptops. Adding kernel argument to the grub
line did not work for me. I checked with all the osi strings for windows 10 versions. The laptop battery still drains after shutdown. Please help me. Thanks in advance.