Conflicts while trying to update Manjaro

I have been away from my Linux machine for about a month. However, yesterday when I tried updating,the update would “fail to commit transaction” due to conflicting files.

kde-cli-tools: /usr/bin/kde-open exists in filesystem (owned by kdebase-runtime)
kde-cli-tools: /usr/bin/keditfiletype exists in filesystem (owned by kdebase-runtime)
kde-cli-tools: /usr/bin/kioclient exists in filesystem (owned by kdebase-runtime)
kde-cli-tools: /usr/bin/kmimetypefinder exists in filesystem (owned by kdebase-runtime)
kde-cli-tools: /usr/bin/kstart exists in filesystem (owned by kdebase-runtime)
kde-cli-tools: /usr/bin/ksvgtopng exists in filesystem (owned by kdebase-runtime)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded

Any and all assistance in solving this problem would be greatly appreciated

Question about that package. On my system kdebase-runtime was installed by and is required by kdebase-kdepasswd. Is kdebaase-kdepasswd also an outdated package?

I know I have been updating my machine for quite a while, but it seems like once something is no longer used it would be removed in the update that made it obsolete. Or maybe there is a place where we can find that info for every update, if so please include that in your response as well. - Thanks in advance.

If i’m not mistaken that was a thing back in 2018 …

How long? Even two update cicles, around a month can have a difference in packages and their dependencies.

But if you missed the first time was replaced, then the newer packages got also a change, then another, there is no way without manual intervention to do those things.

Is a certainty that such place exists since Manjaro came out. Is called #announcements
If you are on stable branch, then here is such announcement that also has a wiki …
[Stable Update] 2022-02-27 - Kernels, Mesa 21.3.7, Plasma 5.24.2, Frameworks 5.91, Pipewire 0.3.47, Toolchain, Gstreamer 1.20, Nvidia 510.54

Mind you, if you missed the past 3 or 4 updates, you definitely have to manually fix some stuff …

1 Like
  • Thanks for the info about kdebase-kdepasswd it being made obsolete in 2018
  • I have updated almost every cycle, but I have been running this system as a daily for 5-6 years & there have been a lot of major changes.
  • Hmmm. I have had a few packages that were not removed when they were made obsolete, and have had to remove them manually. But it is certainly possible (read likely I suppose) that it was caused due to the occasional cycle that it was not updated.
  • Thanks for the link… it is now bookmarked.

EDIT:
Thinking about it there was a pretty major update that had issues for some reason. I think a missed a couple cycles on that. Maybe that is where all my issues originated. That was years ago though, which seems obvious if this package was included in that.

Anyway, thanks again. I appreciate the response!