Conflicts between device-mapper-nosystemd and device-mapper

Hi,

I’m new to manjaro-openrc, and am having some issues updating.

As per the recommendations, first let me start with this

# inxi -Fxzc0 System: Host: xps Kernel: 4.9.20-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.1) Console: tty 0 Distro: Manjaro Linux Machine: Device: laptop System: Dell product: XPS 13 9343 v: 01 Mobo: Dell model: 0TM99H v: A00 UEFI [Legacy]: Dell v: A03 date: 03/25/2015 Battery BAT0: charge: 50.6 Wh 77.1% condition: 65.6/72.0 Wh (91%) model: Sanyo DELL 0DRRP51 status: Discharging CPU: Dual core Intel Core i5-5200U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8783 clock speeds: max: 2700 MHz 1: 887 MHz 2: 2006 MHz 3: 2137 MHz 4: 867 MHz Graphics: Card: Intel HD Graphics 5500 bus-ID: 00:02.0 Display Server: X.org 1.19.3 driver: intel tty size: 160x50 Advanced Data: N/A for root out of X Audio: Card Intel Broadwell-U Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0 Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.9.20-1-MANJARO Network: Card: Intel Wireless 7265 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 02:00.0 IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter> Drives: HDD Total Size: 256.1GB (29.2% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_SSD_PM85 size: 256.1GB Partition: ID-1: / size: 231G used: 70G (32%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0 Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured? Info: Processes: 189 Uptime: 2:39 Memory: 1993.2/7605.2MB Init: SysVinit rc: OpenRC runlevel: default Gcc sys: 6.3.1 Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121) inxi: 2.3.8

I’ve tried
# pacman-mirrors -g
# pacman -Syyu :: Synchronizing package databases... core 138.0 KiB 6.74M/s 00:00 [########################################################] 100% extra 1781.9 KiB 14.9M/s 00:00 [########################################################] 100% community 4.1 MiB 17.9M/s 00:00 [########################################################] 100% multilib 181.5 KiB 59.1M/s 00:00 [########################################################] 100% :: Starting full system upgrade... :: Replace cgmanager-openrc with community/elogind-openrc? [Y/n] n :: Replace consolekit with community/elogind? [Y/n] n :: Replace consolekit-openrc with community/elogind-openrc? [Y/n] n :: Replace pm-utils with community/elogind? [Y/n] n :: Replace polkit-consolekit with community/polkit-elogind? [Y/n] n :: Replace udev-openrc with community/eudev-openrc? [Y/n] n resolving dependencies... looking for conflicting packages... :: device-mapper-nosystemd and device-mapper are in conflict. Remove device-mapper? [y/N] error: unresolvable package conflicts detected error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies) :: device-mapper-nosystemd and device-mapper are in conflict

As you can see, I seem to be hitting a conflict with device-mapper-nosystemd and device-mapper.

If I choose either option, I just continue with further conflicts…

Any help appreciated.

sudo pacman -Rdd device-mapper

1 Like

Thanks robinw0800.

Progressed a little further, now seem to get stuck on dbus-x11 and dbus-elogin:

# pacman -Syyu :: Synchronizing package databases... core 138.1 KiB 5.19M/s 00:00 [########################################################] 100% extra 1783.6 KiB 16.9M/s 00:00 [########################################################] 100% community 4.1 MiB 34.2M/s 00:00 [########################################################] 100% multilib 181.6 KiB 59.1M/s 00:00 [########################################################] 100% :: Starting full system upgrade... :: Replace cgmanager-openrc with community/elogind-openrc? [Y/n] n :: Replace consolekit with community/elogind? [Y/n] n :: Replace consolekit-openrc with community/elogind-openrc? [Y/n] n :: Replace pm-utils with community/elogind? [Y/n] n :: Replace polkit-consolekit with community/polkit-elogind? [Y/n] n :: Replace udev-openrc with community/eudev-openrc? [Y/n] resolving dependencies... looking for conflicting packages... warning: removing 'lvm2' from target list because it conflicts with 'lvm2-nosystemd' :: cups-nosystemd and cups are in conflict. Remove cups? [y/N] y :: dbus-elogind and dbus-x11 are in conflict (libdbus). Remove dbus-x11? [y/N] error: unresolvable package conflicts detected error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies) :: dbus-elogind and dbus-x11 are in conflict

Given I’ve said no to pulling in elogind, I’m unclear as to where this is coming from.

Again, sorry for the probably stupid questions, new to manjaro :slight_smile:

If you say no, you’re not going to be able to complete the update. Manjaro OpenRC is currently shifting from consolekit to elogind (consolekit won’t be supported in the future):

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply cimarronline.

Sad that there will be no support moving forward.

Maybe manjaro wont be for me after all.

Again, thanks for all the help.

If you decide to stay then just substitute dbus-x11 for device-mapper in my above command.

1 Like

Hi @spOOn,

No, your question is not stupid and infact slightly tricky to solve :slight_smile:

As @cimarronline stated, this issue is there due to switching from consolekit to elogind.

If you want to try updating, check out the instructions in this post:

1 Like

@aaditya and @robinw0800

Thanks for your very quick and helpful response.

I came over to manjaro to avoid systemd and all of its components, and whilst I can certainly understand why manjaro is heading down the elogind path (wayland), I don’t think its for me.

Thanks again.

1 Like

This inspired me to go looking. About what elogind is really all about, culturally as opposed to technologically. I found two things of significance.

One was Alien Bob’s blog on Slackware. I think he’s on hiatus now, but his most recent post mentions elogind, and implies that Slack is headed that way too.

The other was the project’s Github, which in turn led me to the developer’s blog. I don’t think this guy is a Lennart.

For what it’s worth.

1 Like

Well, you just experienced a transition update that replaces default packages with totally removed systemd stuff in nosystemd packages, apart from elogind transition.
Its one big update, and requires you to update in terminal.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark