Wondering about how my Steam client is hiding itself from my schools firewall when I update games

My school blocks most of the Steam servers, including the ones that are necessary to view the Steam store and to update games, however my laptop (using the Steam client that comes preinstalled with Manjaro) is able to still update games, when the IT guy looks at my connection while I update (he is using sophos if that matters) he sees nothing out of the ordinary and no connection to any Steam servers. I am just wondering how this is possible, and if it can be applied to other servers that I am trying to connect to, (I don’t think it can be but I am still curious)

Thank you for your time.

I don’t think Steam purposely hides its traffic. It’s more likely not all servers/ports are blocked.

Steam Support :: Required Ports for Steam
Most of the non-web traffic is usually UDP but can be TCP as well. For that, the IPs will all be from the Valve network (AS32590), and a list of those IP blocks can be found here:

Everyone else who tries to update from Steam while on the school network is unable to, I had figured it had something to do with the Steam client that I am using being the preinstalled one from manjaro, and the way it connects to the updating servers is strange. But I don’t know for sure. This is also what the IT guy said was likely happening.

Do you use Tor? Or a VPN?

I think the school is blocking by DNS filtering and you have a custom DNS configured.

1 Like

Nope Tor is blocked on the school network and I don’t have a VPN on this machine

Would this affect me on all servers that I try to connect to? Because I am still blocked on other websites, also would I have to set this custom DNS configuration because I have not touched those settings?

I think that firewall would be built into your school’s network and would not let you visit some websites.

This is a continuation of a previous post by me because I got some new information.

My schools WiFi firewall normally blocks steam and discord traffic but when I update games in my steam library they are able to get updates, but the store and friends network still are blocked, no one else can update. I also can still use discord and I have all functionality still, send messages, call, ect. I did not configure them to do this. I have not configured a custom DNS either nor am I using tor or a vpn

when i run “sudo ss -tunlp” I get this back for those applications:
Netid State Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address:Port Peer Address:Port Process
udp UNCONN 0 0 0.0.0.0:27036 0.0.0.0:* users:((“steam”,pid=39464,fd=109))
tcp LISTEN 0 128 127.0.0.1:57343 0.0.0.0:* users:((“steam”,pid=39464,fd=39))
tcp LISTEN 0 511 127.0.0.1:6463 0.0.0.0:* users:((“Discord”,pid=36306,fd=95))
tcp LISTEN 0 128 127.0.0.1:27060 0.0.0.0:* users:((“steam”,pid=39464,fd=69))
tcp LISTEN 0 128 0.0.0.0:27036 0.0.0.0:* users:((“steam”,pid=39464,fd=111))

for some reason sohpos does not let you block websites if someone tries to access them with non standard ports (they do not block by ports I checked)
when the IT guy looks at my connections it just tells him “ssl traffic through non ssl ports”

Does anyone know why this is happening? I am not trying to stop it, I have also tried to replicate it with port redirection with little success because I was probably definitely doing it wrong.

lol, I wish I could do the same thing, but it seems that my college firewall is much better, cause it block almost EVERYTHING that is not related to education.

Впишите сюда текст цитаты This is a continuation of a previous post by me because I got some new information.
My schools WiFi firewall normally blocks steam and discord traffic but when I update games in my steam library they are able to get updates, but the store and friends network still are blocked, no one else can update. I also can still use discord and I have all functionality still, send messages, call, ect. I did not configure them to do this. I have not configured a custom DNS either nor am I using tor or a vpn
when i run “sudo ss -tunlp” I get this back for those applications:
Netid State Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address:Port Peer Address:Port Process
udp UNCONN 0 0 0.0.0.0:27036 0.0.0.0:* users:((“steam”,pid=39464,fd=109))
tcp LISTEN 0 128 127.0.0.1:57343 0.0.0.0:* users:((“steam”,pid=39464,fd=39))
tcp LISTEN 0 511 127.0.0.1:6463 0.0.0.0:* users:((“Discord”,pid=36306,fd=95))
tcp LISTEN 0 128 127.0.0.1:27060 0.0.0.0:* users:((“steam”,pid=39464,fd=69))
tcp LISTEN 0 128 0.0.0.0:27036 0.0.0.0:* users:((“steam”,pid=39464,fd=111))
for some reason sohpos does not let you block websites if someone tries to access them with non standard ports (they do not block by ports I checked)
also I noticed that school websites about essay examples and stuff like https://studyhippo.com/essay-examples/popular-culture/ are blocked as well. do you have any ideas about that?
when the IT guy looks at my connections it just tells him “ssl traffic through non ssl ports”
Does anyone know why this is happening? I am not trying to stop it, I have also tried to replicate it with port redirection with little success because I was probably definitely doing it wrong.

Honestly speaking, I have no idea how it works.