Config file "/var/lib/sddm/.config/sddm-greeterrc" not writable

Hi Guys this is my second day on Manjaro-KDE and this message is appearing on boot:
Config file “/var/lib/sddm/.config/sddm-greeterrc” not writable contact system administrators

this should fix the permission:
sudo chown -R sddm:sddm /var/lib/sddm/.config

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

Assuming that you’re really new to GNU/Linux in general, here are the hands-on instructions on how to fix this…

• When the machine has booted to the point where you see that message appear, press Ctrl+Alt+F3. You will be at a character-mode virtual console with a login prompt. Type your login name and press Enter. A second prompt will appear, asking you for your password. Type your password and press Enter.

• Now issue the following commands — you will be asked for your password again…: :arrow_right:

sudo touch /var/lib/sddm/.config/sddm-greeterrc
sudo chown -R sddm:sddm /var/lib/sddm/.config 
  • Safely reboot the system… :arrow_right:
sudo systemctl reboot

If all goes well, the system should now come up with the SDDM login screen and no more errors.

1 Like

Just click ok to dismiss that message, login and launch Konsole and enter what brahma posted into Konsole, once done reboot whenever.

1 Like

Thanks, Brahma, I will try this, I just reinstalled Majaro a fresh on this occasion but I will try this next time, I have also made a note of the path and copied the file just in case as I believe that it was caused by the Kernel update which I haven’t yet done on this install so I’m guessing there is more fun to come, it’s still better the Nazisoft Windows though :slight_smile:

Thanks, Aragorn, As I Said to Brahma, I will write this down with the file and try this, I just reinstalled Majaro a fresh on this occasion but I will try this next time, I have also made a note of the path and copied the file just in case as I believe that it was caused by the Kernel update which I haven’t yet done on this install and I noticed it was a simple user login file so this makes perfect sense, it’s still better the Nazisoft Windows though :slight_smile: :