Computer Fails to Boot After Update

Hey guys! Today I ran the package updater on my laptop running (whatever the latest version of Manjaro is). I think it ran an OS update. And everything seemed normal for about 6 hours. But then the laptop randomly froze and would not respond at all. The screen and the application were still just fine. So I waited about 5 minutes then I shut it down. When I restarted it, after selecting the OS the Dell logo popped up then disappeared. After that, it was a blank screen. I waited for about 10 minutes and shut it off. To verify that the drive was fine, I booted into Ubuntu, it was fine. I then selected “Advanced Options for Manjaro Linux” and booted it on an older version of it. And it booted and ran just fine, Firefox even restored the tabs I had open. I still have had no luck getting the latest version to run.

A bit more info, Manjaro will not boot when Kernel 5.10.2-2 is loaded. But will run on previous versions such as Kernel 5.9.16-1. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15 3565 and it runs XCFE.

Hello @Conradish006 :wink:

Sound like the NVIDIA issue. There was an update to remove older drivers. Version 390xx and 455xx remain. You will have to reinstall the driver.

The laptop is an AMD APU though.

sorry to hijack this thread, I have exactly the same problem on a Lenovo Ideapad MIIX 700 tablet.

Neither can I boot the current live version manjaro via USB. Re-installed manjaro 20.1 - everything smooth, until update… Freezes directly after GRUB, idk what to do.

So I assume the DE is not relevant as I use gnome.