Compositor keeps on crashing after waking from sleep post update

After the most recent update to Plasma 5.21, I’ve come across a rather annoying issue.

When I wake my computer up from sleep, the compositor has stopped working. I need to manually restart it every time

Needless to say this is rather cumbersome and annoying.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is there a way to fix this?

Edit: My compositor settings are at default, I haven’t played with them since installation.

Hi @helpcomputer,

I also had a problem with this and couldn’t find a solution. In the end I made a shortcut that quickly restarts the compositor, so that I didn’t have to go to System settings to do it every time.

The shortcut is simple. I created a shortcut in my dock so that I can easily click it, but you can assign it to an alias just as easily. The command is:

kwin_x11 --replace  >/dev/null 2>&1

I used it while typing this, and it works like a charm.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thank you for that suggestion. There’s also a keyboard shortcut alt+shift+f12 to restart the compositor.

I’m using that in the meantime; but again, its cumbersome and I’m hoping for a more permanent “proper” solution.

1 Like

You’re welcome!

Yes, I know about the shortcut, but for me, personally, the shortcut worked better.

I’m hoping for the permanent, proper solution as well.

'Tis but a workaround and not a solution.

1 Like

Just as an update, I have two discoveries to share:

1.) Upon waking from sleep I have a notification from Kwin saying:

“Desktop Effects have been disabled by another application.”

I have no idea what that application might be or why its disabling destkop effects.

2.) I left a youtube tab open on firefox last night; this morning for whatever reasons, that prevent Desktop Effects from being disabled.

If anyone has any insight to offer, I’d really appreciate it.

Thank you

1. If that happens, you can press Ctrl+Shift+F12 to restart the compositor.
  2. No idea, sorry. :stuck_out_tongue:
1 Like

I wonder if this is related to my issue: when plugging in another monitor, in 90% of cases composition is tuned off, also with this annoying “Desktop Effects have been disabled by another application.”

I can’t say; I only have a single monitor setup. But I do want to point out that I only began having this issue after 5.21 update.

Just as an update, the compositing problem still persists after the 5.21.2 update

I also don’t get much of response about my similar bug. Something is turning the composition off, but I have no idea what. My guess it’s Xorg, but why? In your case it could be something different but Xorg is always a suspect ;). Maybe I should look through xorg logs? Hmm…

Isn’t some of new settings experimental? Problem is that if you switch it without restarting even plasma, not just compositor, it can be automatical by now, there’s a huge problem, there’s old variable and settings are just temporary, because Qt sucks, and battle of those two states is improperly managed.

You have a virus, that’s turning of your composition settings, or those porks if they have now have something like two settings managers that battle for your attention which one of is having 0 settings because it’s loading folder have been deleted.

I’ll gladly share my xlogs if you think it’ll help

Therea rejust two issues

1.) I don’t know how to make snese of them

2.) Tied to 1, I don’t even know where they’re located.

Edit: Under KSystemLog, there’s a tab that says x.org log. Would that be it?

Edit 2: Here is the log for I THINK the past 3 sleep/wake cycles. It doesn’t seem to say anything really, just a lot of resolution stuff (which confuses me because I don’t change myr esolution)

1 Like

I just wanted to add that I also have issues with compositor since yesterday. There were no new updates (except Firefox and Chrome), I didn’t install anything and didn’t change any settings. But after that happened I tried changing rendering to OpenGL 2 (not working) and to XRender (comp didn’t turn off, but in general it didn’t work fine).
I’m also using Krohnkite for window’s management and maximise window options stopped working also. When I try to use it I can see a window going max just for a fraction of a second and then going back. So my guess is it’s a problem with compositor.

I am having the exact same issue as described in the first post. It’s been like this for months now. Every day I’ve been entering SHIFT + ALT + F12 multiple times to get it back up.

I’m using an AMD gpu with the open source driver.

Another issue I’ve been experiencing, sometimes I notice a java game I play will start to glitch, by this I mean the rendered parts of the game will appear in a very stuttery, choppy blocks way. Turning the compositor off and on will fix this stuttery behavior.

Like @Eleuth I am also running Krohnkite and experience the same issues sometimes. I have even had to turn off the script → apply → turn on the script to get back its functionality (even after a compositor reset).

So this issue occurs at random. Yes usually from ‘sleep/standby’ state, but also occurs while actively using.

I wonder if this is a candidate for a systemd service? systemd does provide for restarting a process any time it stops. But that feels 'hacky". Would there be any issues with this?

Don’t know how to go about tracking this issue.

Specs:
RX 590 (using oss amdgpu driver) with the following settings:

"Scale Method": "Accurate",
"Rendering backend": "OpenGL 3.1",
"Latency": "Balance of latency and smoothness",
"Tearing prevention ('vsync')": "Automatic",
"Keep window thumbnails": "Only for Shown Windows",
"Allow applications to block compositing": false,

in the Compositor settings switch the “Rendering Backend” to “XRender”.

In my case it works.

Just came here to say I have the same issue after sleep and I’ve just come over to Manjaro.

Just thought I would add that I’m having the same issue. I don’t know how long it’s being going on since I don’t really pay attention to the desktop effects that often, but I noticed it the other day. I was able to fix it by switching to the XRender Compositor. It also seems partly random as it didn’t always happen every time, just very often.

Same issue here, as long as I remember with Intel iGPU and (currently) AMD GPU.
The solution I found and stopped it from happening, was to enable “Workspace Behavior > Desktop Effects > Background contrast
Have no idea what it does, or why it works, but works for me and many others (found the solution in reddit I think)

2 Likes

Thanks, works for me too!
(Standby mode)

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.22.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.84.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.13.5-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 16 × AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor
Memory: 31.3 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon ™ RX 470 Graphics

1 Like