Complicated update

Good day,
At first my network was poor and a couple attempts to update system were interrupted so I mainlined the router and now it works so I began a system update so that I can switch to an appropriate kernel as mine is unsupported. All this after updating my pacman mirrors (see other thread for that). So the download process just stops and my terminal freezes for several minutes. I open the GUI pamac , it says I have updates, so I hit the button to apply the updates, but it is waiting on another package manager to quit. so I go and close the other terminal and come back to pamac GUI and tried to apply again, and it is still waiting for another package manager. I know how to identify a PID from top and kill it. I just dont know what the process is and it jumps around a lot. What I’d like to do is get a handle on this process of updating my system so I can finally get the appropriate kernel. Any help would be appreciated.

You should never try running two package managers at the same time. You probably now also have a lock file at /var/lib/pacman/db.lck that prevents either package manager from installing anything. You have to delete that file, and then use only one package manager at the time.

I always recommend completely logging out of your GUI and running the update from a tty. That way, no shared libraries are in use that are going to be overwritten by the update process.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.