Cold rebooting bluetooth service/hardware?

Hardware: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168NGW (integrated BT 4.2)
Software: Default Manjaro Bluetooth (Blueman) v2.1.3

I have an issue with my Bluetooth earphones where whenever audio stops playing, there’s a random 30% chance it will crash the Bluetooth service and corrupt it; meaning I cannot use Bluetooth any longer unless I reboot my entire system.

This has been happening for a couple of years, I’ve posted before trying to find a solution to prevent BT from crashing… but to no avail (… although it seems the forums were changed since and I can’t access my old account anymore?).

Now I’m thinking: What if I can could cold reboot the Bluetooth service/Blueman alone?

I’ve tried killing blueman-tray and blueman-applet from Task Manager and starting blueman-applet from Terminal, but I get Warning: Adapter is None. I’m also getting a critical error which I don’t quite understand the significance of:

(blueman-tray:77662): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 20:09:34.290: gdk_window_thaw_toplevel_updates: assertion ‘window->update_and_descendants_freeze_count > 0’ failed

I’ve tried to systemctl disable then enable bluetooth with no luck.

Any ideas on what else I could try?

systemctl disable and enable only affects of the service is started on bootup. You should rather try with stop and start or in this case rather restart.

What @Takei said and if that doesn’t work, rmmod and insmod the bluetooth modules (aka “Drivers”).

:+1:

systemctl restart bluetooth does manage to restart the service, but when I turn on Bluetooth it immediately crashes again. Even systemctl restart dbus didn’t fix the issue.

I tried to rmmod the Bluetooth module, but got hung up on its dependencies. After I rmmod all the dependent modules found in lsmod, and closing all the software which use bluetooth found in lsof, pulse audio was auto-respawning whenever I killed it; despite having autospawn = no in its /etc/pulse/client.conf file. I was never able to rmmod bluetooth successfully. And for reference, rmmod/insmod all the other modules which use bluetooth didn’t fix the issue.

2 Likes

Hello…
I have the same Wifi Card that has also Bluetooth…
But in my case nothing is displayed…
I’m running latest Manjaro KDE with 5.11…
I’m so annoyed… :frowning: