Clone Manjaro to another PC

Hey,
new to Manjaro and already love it. I installed it on my Desktop PC and it works flawlessly.
But often I switch from the Desktop PC to my Laptop and it would be awesome when they are in Sync somehow (Settings, installed Software …). I already red that this isnt so easy.

If this doesnt work, it would also be nice to make a snapshot of my current system and install it on my laptop. I had MX Linux before and there was such a Snapshot function.

Would be nice if someone push me in the right direction. Thanks a lot!

Hi @Bauerbyter, and welcome!

(Like the username BTW. Though I doubt Jack will be to happy with it.)

Anyway, look at rclone. I use it for backups, but I’m sure it can be used for what you want to do.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

What about CloneZilla How to clone an encrypted disk image with Clonezilla | FOSS Linux

1 Like

The reason I didn’t suggest that is because to me it sounded like @Bauerbyter wants something to do it on demand, and/or continually.

But your option would work if it’s just a one-time thing.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, will have look at both!

(hehe thanks, the name is in german even funnier, because when you speak it out ,sounds like “Bauarbeiter” what means ConstructionWorker :slight_smile: )

1 Like

if you are copying on another disk , it means :

• UUID will change ( correct to /etc/fstab )

• re install grub2

• also need you reinstall drivers videos

• know how to chroot for that with a USB live iso manjaro

1 Like

Well it’s not easy to maintain syncronicity on different hardware…

My desktop has storage drives which I can share on a network, however - so I could have synchronised user-files.

We just discussed this in another thread.

You can rsync your Timeshift snapshot, then take a snapshot and mount it on the other machine - but you must physically copy files.

However, the machines cannot be clones. They could be close enough to use shared PlasmaConfigSaver (or Konfsave profiles).

For any themes you download, a ‘Resources’ folder on a storage drive means you can quickly restore any favourite tweaks/kvantum themes etc…

For other things try

- it certainly works for synchronizing my Joplin notes with my PC-tablet-phone.

1 Like

I wonder, in the future, if systemd-homed would provide a solution.

You are correct. It is possible but:

• You cannot have any proprietary drivers on any machine
  • You need to be an expert at both BIOS and UEFI
  • You need to have a GPT partition with MBR compatibility enabled
  • You need to choose a DE that’s very light-weight
  • One machine should be considered the “Parent” and any and all configuration changes need to be done on that one and the “Child” gets configuration updates through cloning only…
  • etc etc

I have a USB stick like that that boots on most machines and that I only use to disinfect / recover passwords from Windoze machines or if push comes to shove, to work on a computer in an Internet café but every now and then, I still run into machines that don’t connect to the WiFi, whose touchpads don’t work, … so:

try again in a few years / months after you’ve installed Linux on at least 10 machines and you’ve read up on a ton of documentation…

Alternatively, install any software immediately on both machines and/or keep your documents synchronised on a NAS / SAN.

:crossed_fingers:

Hi,

How is configure your usb stick to boot on most machines?
I have an usb stick with a Manjaro installed, no problem, but I never boot on a machine with the disc from the machine, I unplug the disc, and then I boot with the usb stick, I don’t want to delete something on boot with the usb stick.

My usb stick grub is looking so

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
insmod part_gpt
insmod part_msdos
if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
  load_env
fi
if [ "${next_entry}" ] ; then
   set default="${next_entry}"
   set next_entry=
   save_env next_entry
   set boot_once=true
else
  • Use Manjaro Architect
  • use GPT partition with MBR block
  • Ensure BIOS boots
  • Create EFI partition
  • Ensure EFI boots
  • Don’t install any proprietary drivers
  • Install 3 LTS kernels (4.4, 4.19, 5.4)
  • install from USB to USB
  • Use UUIDs in FSTAB
  • Use LXDE
  • etc. etc etc

:man_shrugging:

None of that applies with Clonezilla, FYI.

2 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

Okay Wow, thanks all for the answers. I am not a complete newbie to Linux, but no expert at all. I red some articles about the stuff you posted and I understand the most of it. The Problem is, its to complicated to do it on regular basis.

My Documents and Files are not the Problem, they are in my own Nextcloud.

Its not like you need to copy the whole disk, what I mostly need is copy the settings of XFCE (shortcuts and co) and the installed software - a list of it - so pacman can install it on the other pc.
Something like the Settings Sync in VSCode.

Settings sync is awesome!

Almost sounds to me what you want are your dotfiles.

Dotfiles are used to customize your system. The “dotfiles” name is derived from the configuration files in Unix-like systems that start with a dot (e.g. . bash_profile and . gitconfig). For normal users, this indicates these are not regular documents, and by default are hidden in directory listings.

More specifically, but not limited to ~/.config/. Also /etc/. Those are the two most important directories for configuration stuff according to me.

Edit:

What happened when you blue them?

What @Mirdarthos said.

pamac list

But you will not be able to clone that unless the machines are completely identical!
(I.E. the model number of the 2 computers are identical, so a laptop and a desktop: NO GO unless you go completely generic on both machines!)

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Hi Bauerbyter,

Given all the (correct!) observations about hardware incompatibilities, perhaps a middle course would be best. You could install Manjaro and your usual apps on the laptop from scratch, then copy your entire home directory as a tar file to the laptop. Or perhaps, move your home directory for both onto an external USB drive. In the latter case, at least your home directory always will be in sync on both.

If your laptop and desktop use different sorts of processors (x86_64 vs aarch64, for example), even this modest proposal may cause headaches and not be worth pursuing.

From one who has tried it…

2 Likes

Same disk same UUID same fstab same systemd mounts…

1 Like