Clear Linux

Hello, I'm a complete Linux noob and a huge fan of Manjaro and the AUR. I've installed Clear Linux for like a week now and I've noticed a slight, but noticeable for the keen eye, increase in performance. Is there any way to achieve better performance in Manjaro and if so how do i go on about it?

Generally if anyone has tried Clear Linux here what do you think of the OS and the way bundles work (could someone elaborate)?

1 Like

Clear linux is developed by intel with a ton of out-of-mainline patches.

In their own words "Highly tuned for intel platforms"

Just about no one but intel could ever match it.

2 Likes

Ok, so there is no hope to get the same performance in Manjaro in any way?

Also, what does "out-of-mainline patches" mean? :slight_smile:

What did you install this onto?

You can always have "hope", but what is "in any way" ?

This is a question which cannot be answered, and "impossible questions" lead to a particular phenomenon:

http://slash7.com/2006/12/22/vampires/

If you can identify specific tweaks then they can be applied to Manjaro.

The main question is: What does Clear Linux do differently?

Is is kernel patches? Is it compiling everything -O3? Is it compiling with -mtune=coffeelake -march=coffeelake ? Is it removing anything from the kernel which provides backwards compatibility or anything other than specific Intel platforms? Is it removing anything which would allow for a full desktop system and paring it back to the bare minimum for specific use-cases?

I suspect if the changes Clear Linux are making were more widely applicable then they would be being used by the upstream projects and downstream distros already...

7 Likes

There are things that might be worth stealing though .. for example:

https://github.com/clearlinux/clr-desktop-defaults/blob/master/fontconfig/70-disable-x11-75-100-dpi.conf

$ cat /etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf 
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
<!-- Reject bitmap fonts -->
 <selectfont>
  <rejectfont>
   <pattern>
     <patelt name="scalable"><bool>false</bool></patelt>
   </pattern>
  </rejectfont>
 </selectfont>
</fontconfig>
$ cat /etc/fonts/conf.d/75-yes-terminus.conf 
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
<!-- Accept terminus font -->
 <selectfont>
  <acceptfont>
   <pattern>
     <patelt name="family"><string>xos4 Terminus</string></patelt>
   </pattern>
  </acceptfont>
 </selectfont>
</fontconfig>

?

3 Likes

hey, no fair - I didnt look in the .d folders :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[though .. I actually think the dpi thing is a better solution]

3 Likes

Oh, it may well be a better solution, in which case #manjaro-development:feature-request

It looks like Clear Linux has moved on a bit since I last looked at it and they're actually targetting desktop use-cases now.

I think I'll have to look into this for work too... "stateless desktops" is hella interesting.

3 Likes

Here's my inxi -b:

System:
  Host: clr-0f4eaf6da210492b95c072e104c6ba68 
  Kernel: 5.2.10-828.native x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Gnome 3.32.2 
  Distro: Clear Linux OS 30880 1 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Inspiron 7577 v: N/A 
  serial: <root required> 
  Mobo: Dell model: 0J8HMF v: A00 serial: <root required> UEFI: Dell 
  v: 1.6.1 date: 08/16/2018 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 26.1 Wh condition: 26.1/56.0 Wh (47%) 
CPU:
  Quad Core: Intel Core i7-7700HQ type: MT MCP speed: 2535 MHz 
  min/max: 800/3800 MHz 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel driver: i915 v: kernel 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GP106M [GeForce GTX 1060 Mobile] driver: nvidia v: 435.17 
  Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.5 driver: modesetting,nvidia 
  resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
  OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1060 with Max-Q Design/PCIe/SSE2 
  v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 435.17 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  driver: r8169 
  Device-2: Intel Wireless 8265 / 8275 driver: iwlwifi 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1.38 TiB used: 408.92 GiB (29.0%) 
Info:
  Processes: 272 Uptime: 3h 51m Memory: 15.58 GiB used: 4.87 GiB (31.2%) 
  Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.36

The Nvidia Graphics Drivers were a total pain to set up tho.

What I meant is that is there any tweaks I can do to a Manjaro Deepin installation (let's say) to get better performance? I mean Clear Linux is nice but it doesn't do wonders either. It just feels a little snappier and also has some better performance in games in lower resolutions.

Maybe. But you'll have to find them as they are highly system-specific.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/improving_performance

2 Likes

Can someone explain what a stateless Desktop is cause I read an article that said it's the future.

Thank you so much! :smiley:

1 Like
  1. You boot your PC and use it.
  2. Save files to a file store (local or network, whatever)
  3. PC configuration doesn't change.
  4. PC resets to original state on next boot.
  5. PC gets an atomic update to new system state.
  6. Repeat.

It makes desktops and servers way more reliable as their "state" is configured outside of manual changes to local files, which in turn makes deployment and reinstallation robust and repeatable.

Companies tend to use configuration management systems (e.g. Puppet) for this, but the systems deployed are not stateless so the config management systems have to keep checking all files for state (and resetting changed files etc.). A stateless system wouldn't have that problem - you set something, it is deployed. You deploy a system update, you know that all systems will be in a known state, update will succeed.

You can spin up any number of identical systems quickly and easily and know they will all work because the underlying OS remains "locked" - and so local changes can't be made by users or malicious programs which might break configuration or introduce further security risks.

It's a game-changer for large deployments, both servers and desktops. Clear Linux was originally targeted at server deployments (e.g. VMs, clusters, containers, Kubernetes, etc.) but if it's possible to do this with desktops too... boy howdy.

7 Likes

Oh wow, that all sounds so cool. :smiley:

Is there any chance that in the future Manjaro will be a stateless OS? Cause I think this is really amazing stuff.

Again with the hypothetical...

Yes, it's possible. Anything is possible.

However, it would require a completely different approach to the distro, so if it did happen it wouldn't be "Manjaro" but a derivative or "sister project".

Something... something like... Manjaro without traditional repos but a base OS with snaps and flatpaks instead.

Wait a minute...

:exploding_head:

/me runs for the hills...

5 Likes

Omg, so that means that something like the AUR couldn't exist? Cause that would be catastrophic for me too.

Yup, you wouldn't be able to use it directly.

"Stateless desktop" is ideal for businesses etc. but very much less so for single-user PCs etc.

Oh my god, that's so bad. I LOVE the AUR. But stateless means safer from what I gathered right? Like viruses and malware in general is harder to actually infect your PC? Or did I miss something?

interesting stuff that stateless system/desktop, thanks for sharing

i have seen something similar being deployed on windows PCs used in internet cafe's many years ago, but cant remember what software they were using.

so there is no hope to get the same performance in Manjaro in any way?

There was a Phoronix test of Clear Linux vs Manjaro, and the mean difference in performance came out to be ~7%, which to me sounds more like a statistical error, than a statistically significant difference.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark