Cleanjaro XFCE 19.08.3a

I think that’s the way to go with this. The latest stable and latest lts.

However, I won’t be moving on to the next kernel till it is at least at .1 as a minimum, preferably at .3 stage so all the major initial release bugs are worked out.

2 Likes

That seems like a good idea, latest+lts should be a sufficient kernel collection and easier to maintain than the full set.

1 Like

Finally some sanity. Maybe do a manjaro to cleanjaro conversion script too ?
Also can you offer more details about the "OOT Canonical junk" that is included in the manjaro kernel but removed in the cleanjaro one ?

Hopefully manjaro will merge into cleanjaro some day :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Those

They are needed to have strict confidentment availability for snaps. Most likely they will be merged by upstream soon. At least one of the already did.

1 Like

So, my system is dirty/filthy/unclean because i have a couple of Manjaro kernels installed? :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:
I would be a bit more pretentious with that wording. :nerd_face:

What about those that want a production system, and different tasks work better with one kernel and others with a different kernel? My only reason why not using Arch Linux was the presence of a single kernel and the fact that i had to tweak things and pay attention/care to the system 50% of my time, letting me with 50% for actual work. With Manjaro i spend 20% of my time on system, and i have left the rest for actual work. Another advantage for me was testing (in another machine) what benefits i have for production using Snaps and Flatpaks, and in some situations i see why someone would go that road. The very existence of that option, that makes someone that doesn't want to spend a lot of time on why a software fails, just install a snap or flatpak and concentrate on their work, is a big advantage.

For someone like you that spends most of the time developing/programming and know their way around linux, and love "messing" with it all their time, all the above makes absolutely no sense, i understand that, but that is what Manjaro seems to aim for = give others less interested in linux technical involvement an easy access to alternatives.

Cheers! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Arch uses 2 kernels. The latest stable and the latest LTS. This is what Cleanjaro will be doing.

I’m pretty sure 5.3 should be the next LTS if I’m not mistaken, as that’s 5 from the last LTS.

As for the rest of your post... that’s the beauty of a Linux system. Use what you like and change/remove what you don’t :wink:

2 Likes

you forgot to read without

I was talking about the grub boot menu having one kernel by default, and like i said, for me sitting there to tweak things is counterproductive for what i actually do :slight_smile:

Is in the quote, how could i have forgot to read it? Maybe i misunderstood your statement, but none of the words escaped me :slight_smile: I still think that could have been phrased a bit better, for those like me benefit :wink:

So install another or multiple kernels then

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

IS THIS TO HARD FOR YOU TO DO Sorry for shouting

1 Like

I'd rather say it'll be 5.4.
Normally, the next LTS will be the kernel that is the current "stable" in January.

Thank you for your good work, although I'm unable to test it (I should be on a break...).

1 Like

Then why doing it? You don't have to apologize, no harm done. I honestly get your point :slight_smile:
Not using arch linux as my production system. I rarely boot into it, i barely have time to play around and make tests as i used too, and that is what most linux gurus don't understand about people that have to concentrate on something that is absolutely not technically OS related to do their works, and why they chose easy roads. Countless artist i know will simply install Window$ or use Mac even if they don't use commercial software for 3D or 2D. Few of them got the Cintiq Pro 32 for €3,500 (has Window$ preinstalled) and they are relay newbie at what you are ace in regards with operating systems, kernels, boot loaders. For them all that jargon is like talking quantum physics to a toddler. Some of them even told me that is a distraction for their creativity. Because i'm somehow caught between the two worlds, i can confirm that; reason why they will be always better artists than me, and you will always be better than me at grasping the big picture about linux, kernel, packages, etc ...

2 Likes

I was not exactly shouting in this country it part of normal writing to put the point across.
If you used Arch for a while you would find everything is done with logic and in a simple way, It might be slightly harder to grasp but in reality arch uses logic that means taking away the hit and miss off GUI programs that constantly need updating, that in turn means a more solid system for the user.

1 Like

Is the Manjaro branding in Firefox removed?

Yes. That’s was gone from first release.

1 Like

You have done a good job runs well.

1 Like

just downloaded and live booted on my optimus laptop, looks clean and works great.

not sure how much it matters but thought i would mention it. neo/screenfetch shows manjaro logo

1 Like

Fixed, thank you :grin: You'll see an update for filesystem, run pacdiff and just replace os-release with the new one.

2 Likes

No need more spins of spins, please.

If need run close to upstream without junk patches (and decisions) move to Fedora, thats it.

1 Like

Really I would say use Arch Linux
I would also say 71 others disagree with you opinion this week.

1 Like

everyone has different idea about the linux
how it should be.
everyone thinks what he does is better.
i also think my spin is better.

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark