Cleaning Up Your Linux Startup Process

The average general-purpose Linux distribution launches all kinds of stuff at startup, including a lot of services that don’t need to be running. Bluetooth, Avahi, ModemManager, ppp-dns… What are these things, and who needs them?

Read on here on how to speed up your boot process by removing services you don’t need.

Meta: What is the purpose of "Post your boot time"?
[SOLVED] Fresh install of Manjaro takes about 90 seconds to boot to desktop
Noobs rage: sluggish performance, could not set up optimus nvidia

Thanks for this useful post!

Great post but guess I need to look deeper

autovt@.service                             enabled 
avahi-daemon.service                        enabled 
cronie.service                              enabled 
dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service          enabled 
dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service  enabled 
dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service enabled 
dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service  enabled 
display-manager.service                     enabled 
getty@.service                              enabled 
ModemManager.service                        enabled 
NetworkManager-dispatcher.service           enabled 
NetworkManager.service                      enabled 
nmbd.service                                enabled 
org.cups.cupsd.service                      enabled 
sddm.service                                enabled 
smbd.service                                enabled 
tlp-sleep.service                           enabled 
tlp.service                                 enabled 
zramswap.service                            enabled

As don’t know do I need org.cups.cusd.service as don’t have a printer.
smbd.service? as don’t smb? tlp services as system isn’t a laptop?
Seems you need to know as maybe another service or program may need for it to run?
As running Netrunner what are the advantages of zramswap and do I really need it?

look at systemd-analyze and systemd-analyze blame. My startup time is under 4 seconds, so I can’t imagine I’d see much performance boost from disabling any of these even if I don’t really need them.

For me it is more about unneeded. The fewer process as I want to uninstall unneeded.
Means smaller faster updates over my Wifi connection. With fewer packages to update.
Also simpler and fewer processes equals easier to grapple and troubleshooting on issues.

Of course the further you deviate from default installation, the more likely to encounter unanticipated problems.

True but I’m sure that all distro’s inherit a certain amount of old and not used by most users packages.
As am sure there is much in base that has never been used and never removed in a decade or more.

Then there are many lower level tools that many don’t care or even are aware of.
For me last update noticed one package mkvtoolnix-cli and is over 16mb in size.
I don’t need cli based tools for mkv files. Cups is over 11mb and doesn’t include the installed filters another 2.3mb. I could go on but all those unused packages can easily add 100mb-200mb of unnecessary time to update system. Not all have High Speed Internet. And a boon also for older systems with smaller hardrives.

And protect myself with backing up partitions before doing major hacking removal operations.
And also to desktop ram savings as only have 4gb of ram. Default Netrunner use to be 725mb to desktop.
trimmed that down to 425mb so that IS quite significant in savings.

Glad to see others think like I do I was starting to wonder I run Gnome and got the startup ram down to 350mb on 3.18 its gone up slightly to 400mb on 3.20 so yes no need for heavy ram and like you reduces update times with a slow internet speed, + a much more responsive system

Yep well just comes down to individual preferences I guess.
And if having a 8gb or 16gb quad-core with High Speed Internet.
Then would guess it’s a less of an issue for many. Even I would probably be less concerned.

But many of us running older 3-10 year old system. Mine is 5 years old build I did with cash savings in mind.
So just an old dual-core amd with 4gb of ram and a now legacy Ati 4350 running dual 22" displays.

Gets the job done. But even my Win7 machine is trimmed down to just under 1gb on boot.
As I am stickler for unwanted or unneeded processes running eating up ram and resources.

Well I have ample ram but i do not see the point of running apps or services i do not require just because I have the ram to do it, That attitude is killing the planet and my systems are not changed till they are not viable any-more. Even my mobile is a basic mobile to make phone calls nothing more.

Very nice post! Thanks Philm!

Very useful - I identified & masked several unnecessary bootup routines.

Thanks Phil!