ClamTK Finds Malware from Firefox and Privacy Badger

Any popup window with a generally red colour scheme and words of warning presented in a large font seems to equate to malware or virus detection, to the great unwashed.

1 Like

a false equivalance?

FF has the option to delete cookies on close so I dont really see the need for autodelete.

The functionality noscript provides can be provided by ubO
(the noop rules shown here)

Cookie Autodelete will instantly delete cookies, when closing the single tab… its a big improvement.

I need to look into it… but i don’t see any anything about the use ability coming close to NoScript.

NoScript’s UI is really really good.

Just out of curiosity, I did a search on my computer and found a suspicious file (PUA).

The good news is that it is a LibreOffice document that I made myself.

The fact that it contains macros does not make it dangerous.

I would analyze those files with virustotal to have a better criteria.

Any form of active scripting might be targetted as a Possibly Unwanted Application (PUA) by virus scanners and such. It never ceases to annoy.

Unequivocally so. :wink:

1 Like

@soundofthunder Any form of active scripting might be targetted as a Possibly Unwanted Application (PUA) by virus scanners and such. It never ceases to annoy.

That is why I say that it is important to verify the results of clamav with virustotal.

This way we will be more sure of the dangerousness of the detections.

Thank you for spelling out the term!
I might have found it elsewhere - but I did not bother to look it up till now and just went with the feeling of the meaning of it.

stupid - I know

1 Like

The most annoying factor is that (whether or not it is a false positive) a PUA is likely to be a legitimate application; especially in Windows.

An application might be flagged due to a specific packaging system, or simply because it’s on a we don’t want users to install this list provided by Microsoft and/or other Antivirus partner companies. Most times the application might be a useful tool that does no harm whatsoever; but is nonetheless grouped under “possibly unwanted”. It’s deceptive.

1 Like

clamav actually flags at least 10 files in an empty wine installation…yes i agree, the whole winboze is a virus :smile:

4 Likes

Scan for PUA is not enabled for some Windows users

Protect your PC from potentially unwanted applications - Microsoft Support

Potentially unwanted applications (PUA) are a category of software that can cause your machine to run slowly, display unexpected ads, or at worst, install other software which may be more harmful or annoying.

Windows Security has reputation-based protection that can help protect your PC from potentially unwanted applications. Potentially unwanted app blocking was first introduced in the Windows 10 May 2020 update and is turned on by default for enterprise customers, but off by default for consumers.

ClamTK developer recommends turning off PUA scan in this post:

When I run clamtk in Linus Cinnamon Mint 18.3 History shows 20 items items found but not in quarantine · Issue #116 · dave-theunsub/clamtk · GitHub

there is no automatic quarantine or delete anymore… that can be pretty dangerous when PUAs are involved. I recommend removing the checkbox from the PUA scanning item in Settings.

27 PUA from Privacy Badger is not a Manjaro problem
If the 3 Firefox PUA are unwanted only for non-Linux OS then this is also not a Manjaro problem
If OP does not provide more information nobody else can look into the 3 PUA further