How to Configure xrdp/xfreerdp?

I’ve just installed Manjaro and also xrdp to be able to use my main machine to connect to it with xfreerdp. I followed a guide that I’m not allowed to post a link of (why???), which basically says “install xrdp, enable it and connect to it”.

lsof on the server shows that it listens and receives connections, but running xfreerdp fails:

$ /usr/bin/xfreerdp /v:10.0.0.102 /u:user /p:pwd
[17:27:44:788] [9800:9801] [WARN][com.freerdp.crypto] - Certificate verification failure 'self signed certificate (18)' at stack position 0
[17:27:44:788] [9800:9801] [WARN][com.freerdp.crypto] - C = US, ST = CA, L = Sunnyvale, O = xrdp, CN = www.xrdp.org
[17:27:44:788] [9800:9801] [ERROR][com.freerdp.crypto] - @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
[17:27:44:788] [9800:9801] [ERROR][com.freerdp.crypto] - @           WARNING: CERTIFICATE NAME MISMATCH!           @
[17:27:44:788] [9800:9801] [ERROR][com.freerdp.crypto] - @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
[17:27:44:788] [9800:9801] [ERROR][com.freerdp.crypto] - The hostname used for this connection (10.0.0.102:3389)
[17:27:44:788] [9800:9801] [ERROR][com.freerdp.crypto] - does not match the name given in the certificate:
[17:27:44:788] [9800:9801] [ERROR][com.freerdp.crypto] - Common Name (CN):
[17:27:44:788] [9800:9801] [ERROR][com.freerdp.crypto] -        www.xrdp.org
[17:27:44:788] [9800:9801] [ERROR][com.freerdp.crypto] - A valid certificate for the wrong name should NOT be trusted!
[17:27:44:788] [9800:9801] [ERROR][com.freerdp.crypto] - certificate not trusted, aborting.
[17:27:44:788] [9800:9801] [ERROR][com.freerdp.core] - transport_connect_tls:freerdp_set_last_error_ex ERRCONNECT_TLS_CONNECT_FAILED [0x00020008]

So how do I set up such a thing? I mean I haven’t generated a certificate (how? where would I put it?) nor have I found a certificate that would check for the xrdp.org-host so I would circumvent it somehow.

If I ignore the certificate like so:

$ /usr/bin/xfreerdp /v:10.0.0.102 /u:user /p:pwd /cert:ignore

I get this pop-up inside the window (why can’t I post images???):

connecting to sesman ip 127.0.0.1 port 3350
sesman connect ok
sending login info to session manager, please wait...
login failed for display 0

What now?

Both machines have the latest stable Manjaro installed with XFCE.

Guide: wiki-dot-archlinux-dot-org/index.php/Xrdp

Hello,

Did find a solution for Xrdp on Lanjaro xfce ? I have more or less the same issue.
It would be a great help if we can exchange on that.

Thanks
Christophe

Because images was - at least partly - one of the reason the previous forum installation is now archived.

Also images are not searchable - and therefore of little interest.

Nope, still waiting for anyone to help out here…

Hello,

Now It is almost working. I can use xrdp (on Manjaro xfce) with Remmina on Manjaro KDE. I am not using xfreerdp. This is what I did :

I followed the instructions here : Xrdp - ArchWiki

• install xrdp
  • enable & start the services : xrdp.service et xrdp-sesman.service

install de xorgxrdp-git
Add allowed_users=anybody to /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config to allow anybody to start X

BUT I modified the ~/.xinitrc (replace the latest line) :

#exec $(get_session “$1”)
exec dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session xfce4-session

I don’t know why it is working like this and not with the default line in this file. It seems that the argument is not well injected via a remote desktop session.

My latest issues :

• I can’t add/remove program in a remote dekstop session or make an update. For exemple, in the “add/remore app”. It doesn’t ask me my password. Maybe I can control this in a config file ?
  • I have also some issues with the keyboard layout

Oops, sorry that I wasn’t replying to you. This xrdp-thing wasn’t a high priority thing and I so I wasn’t really looking into it any more. In the meantime I also read about the xorgxrdp-package and wanted to try it today, but it requires xrdp 0.9.14 now and only 0.9.13 is listed in the repo. Oh, and yeah, xrdp is now outdated… :frowning:

I guess I should rethink all of this and try VNC instead. I mean AUR is enough off the course for me and I surely don’t want to mess with git-releases of packages…

I’ll mark your answer as solution in good faith anyway :slight_smile:

Hello,

No problem for the delay. Yes, my current solution is VNC :slight_smile:

Thanks

just to confirm … all the above happens on the machine you want to connect to, right?

xrdp is the server package (including xorgxrdp) and freerdp is the client package. I also don’t know why they had to name them like that.

Due to that the quote belongs to the server.

the ‘server’ being the machine you want to connect to

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.