3: 1405 4: 1398 5: 1457 6: 1464 7: 1406 8: 1405 
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Vega 10 XL/XT [Radeon RX Vega 56/64] driver: amdgpu 
  v: kernel 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: amdgpu,ati 
  unloaded: modesetting,radeon 
  resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz, 1366x768~60Hz 
  OpenGL: 
  renderer: Radeon RX Vega (VEGA10 DRM 3.27.0 4.19.12-2-MANJARO LLVM 7.0.0) 
  v: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.6 

I don’t know if this is the place to put this, so if it’s not mods, please move it.

I moved to Manjaro Cinn from Mint this week and I’m loving it so far, one problem I’m having is that my screens aren’t turning off from inactivity. My system is on 24/7 and I don’t want the screens running for all that time.

Power management is on, and the settings say that it should be turning off the screens after 10 minutes of inactivity. Nothing’s changed physically so the mouse/keyboard shouldn’t be getting bumped or touched. It does lock on it’s own, it jsut doesn’t sleep/power manage/turn off the monitors.

I don’t know where to start with this. I can provide any log or console output if needed.

Thanks ahead of time.

Ok, so new information, I watched the screens for long enough and this is what is happening.

The screen locks and has a bit of time before it tries to turn off. It does turn all 3 screens of, then right after, they all turn back on.

So they are turning off, but then turning right back on. I don’t hit the mouse or keyboard or anything and I’ve watched it multiple times do this. What logs do I need to provide?

Xorg.0.log, .xsession-errors, journactl, or something else?

I don’t even know which log this would be in to determine what is doing this. Please help, thank you.

Saw a few instances of this recently…
Turned out to be network card in the way somehow. [usually ath10k_pci]
Try nmcli networking off
Then systemctl suspend
…does it work ?
(nmcli networking on will turn it back on :wink:)

Thanks for the reply.

I don’t want the computer to suspend though, I just want the monitors to power save.

Or is the suspend just to test?

Just to test … you can do the same for whatever state you want it to be in … either by triggering manually or just turning off networking and waiting.

I just tried it and turning networking off didn’t help.

This used to work fine in Mint 18.3 so I know it’s possible. Right now I’m just manually turning off the screens.

Also, and I don’t know if this helps, but my window locations on some of the screens aren’t being remembered after the screens shut off.

More information, I think something might be having issues.
In Xorg.0.log I’m getting some debounce messages

[ 23859.802] (EE) client bug: timer event6 debounce: offset negative (-12ms)
[ 23859.802] (EE) client bug: timer event6 debounce short: offset negative (-25ms)
[ 24505.741] (EE) client bug: timer event6 debounce: offset negative (-19ms)
[ 24505.741] (EE) client bug: timer event6 debounce short: offset negative (-32ms)
[ 24536.877] (EE) client bug: timer event6 debounce: offset negative (-21ms)
[ 24536.877] (EE) client bug: timer event6 debounce short: offset negative (-34ms)

Then there’s this:

asimov:$~> xinput
⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Logitech G500                           	id=12	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Logitech G500 Consumer Control          	id=14	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Cooler Master Technology Inc. MK750     	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Cooler Master Technology Inc. MK750 System Control	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Cooler Master Technology Inc. MK750 Consumer Control	id=10	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Cooler Master Technology Inc. MK750 Keyboard	id=11	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Logitech G500 Keyboard                  	id=13	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Logitech G500 Consumer Control          	id=15	[slave  keyboard (3)]

So is this saying my power button is needing to be debounced? I mean it might be completely irrelevant.

EDIT: Nope. Looks like it’s the mouse. From Xorg.o.log:

[ 12656.103] (EE) client bug: timer event6 debounce short: offset negative (-32ms)
[ 12708.352] (EE) client bug: timer event6 debounce short: offset negative (-12ms)
[ 12747.360] (EE) client bug: timer event6 debounce short: offset negative (-7ms)
[ 13765.181] (EE) client bug: timer event6 debounce: offset negative (-12ms)
[ 13765.181] (EE) client bug: timer event6 debounce short: offset negative (-25ms)
[ 14516.752] (II) event6  - Logitech G500: Enabling spurious button debouncing, see https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/1.12.4/button-debouncing.html for details

I’ll try another mouse and see if that works.

Ok so sleep works fine, but I need the computer on 24/7 as it’s a server for a few things in my house. Trying sleep 2; set dpms force off does the trick for testing it btw.

The reason for the debounce was just that my mouse switch is bad and was sending two right clicks according to xinput. I used a second and a third mouse, both of which are good, but the screens are still not completely shutting down.

I’m guessing it’s an amdgpu driver issue as before when it worked I was using the radeon one, but I was also using a different card (R9 290) and I was also using DVI-D. Whereas now I’m using a Vega 64 and displayports.

I’ve also tried to see if it would work on different kernels. None of the current Manjaro builds of 4.18, 4.19, and 4.20 work.

Are there logs generated by the set dpms command? I could look at those but I can’t find anything in Xorg.0.log, journalctl, or anywhere else.