Chromium: error while loading shared libraries: libSvtAv1Enc.so.0: cannot open shared object file

For some reason after update chromium binary (from extra) it is broken. I tried reinstalling it as well as other libraries which is not found by ldd. Tried different mirrors. How this could happen?

chromium
/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: error while loading shared libraries: libSvtAv1Enc.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

ldd /usr/lib/chromium/chromium | grep found
        libSvtAv1Enc.so.0 => not found
        libsrt.so.1.4 => not found

I could symlink missing libraries but it shouldn’t work like this.

For example, just try this script (added comments with result of commands in my situation):

#!/bin/sh
cd /tmp
wget https://download.nus.edu.sg/mirror/manjaro/stable/extra/x86_64/chromium-104.0.5112.79-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
tar --use-compress-program=unzstd -xvf chromium-104.0.5112.79-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
ldd usr/lib/chromium/chromium | grep 'libSvt'
# libSvtAv1Enc.so.0 => not found

ldd usr/lib/chromium/chromium | grep 'libsrt'
# libsrt.so.1.4 => not found

wget https://download.nus.edu.sg/mirror/manjaro/stable/extra/x86_64/svt-av1-1.1.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
tar --use-compress-program=unzstd -xvf svt-av1-1.1.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
ls usr/lib/libSvtAv1Enc.so.0
# "usr/lib/libSvtAv1Enc.so.0": No such file or directory (os error 2)

Do you have chromium broken too?

No, because we use either pamac as UI or CLI to install and update packages from repositories, or pacman

Always make sure you update the system. Partial updates is not supported.

sudo pacman-mirrors -f5 && sudo pacman -Syyu

or

pamac update

to install
pamac install chromium svt-av1

because the

is part of svt-av1 package.

Reboot the system and test again.

@bogdancovaciu the reason why I provided a script is because following it’s output you’ll clearly see that chromium package is broken. Of course I use pacman to manage my system, of course I updated the system, of course I updated mirrors. I also rebooted but it should never needed except when you need kernel and kernel modules to be reloaded.

Please, take a look at the script without pre-judging.

libSvtAv1Enc is part of svt-av1 package

If you look at the output of commands I provided, you’ll see that chromium wants libSvtAv1Enc.so.0 but svt-av1 doesn’t have it. It only has libSvtAv1Enc.so (without .0 at the end).

Same for libsrt. Making symlink manually works but it’s not the way to go.

Post output of:

pacman -Q srt svt-av1 chromium

That is why i pre-and-after-judge bad practices.

I just want to add that chromium doesn’t depend on libSvtAv1Enc.so, it is a dependency of a dependency. ldd makes it look like it, but it is not direct. It is pulled in by one of the ffmpeg libraries, like libavcodec.so (there are more) . Since ldd doesn’t show libSvtAv1Enc.so on systems that doesn’t have ffmpeg installed.

srt 1.5.0-1
svt-av1 1.1.0-1
chromium 104.0.5112.79-1

That is why i pre-and-after-judge bad practices

@bogdancovaciu
Don’t understand what you mean here.

@xabbu you’re hero. Thank you! Didn’t know that ldd shows dependency of dependency.
I had ffmpeg-vulkan installed from aur. Made pacman -S ffmpeg and now the problem is gone.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.