Chromium asks to sign in again after every reboot

Well, it’s a different issue then.
Did you check out: Account sign-in details are out of date [Chrome] to see if it also fixes your issue.

2 Likes

Solution 1 doesn’t work for me.
In solution 2,
if I remove gnome-keyring completely, how will chromium store passwords?

Then how did you know that it will solve the problem? and why does it solve it?

I think,
if gnome-keyring-daemon was used in chromium code, it now doesn’t do anything.
So previously when it was called, somehow chromium didn’t get the account password.
That means the command wasn’t correctly used and it led to gnome-keyring not giving passwords to chromium.

or gnome-keyring-daemon was called in a wrong way at login

In plain text.

1 Like

How do I know if my chromium is storing passwords in plain text or not?
If yes, where are they stored?

I think an answer is here:

There’s even a way to tell Chromium which way to use. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If I followed @c00ter , then chrome stores passwords in plain text. So I am not using it.
I created a new account and signed in there. On the next reboot, it signed in automatically. It was perfect.
So, I installed “seahorse” to check the keys in the gnome-keyring. In this new account, all passwords were stored in “Login” keyring. While in my current account, there is a default keyring whose password is in login keyring. All my passwords are in this default keyring. This was the only difference in the gnome-keyring.
Security-wise, both methods are equally secure but second causes the login problem.
Is there a way to tell chromium to use the login keyring instead of creating a new keyring?

an old favourite of mine - set the gnome keyring to have no password first time, problem solved.

Do you mean to say leave the password blank?
I don’t want to do that (passwords get stored in plain text). I want to use the login keyring which is encrypted using login details and it gets unlocked at login.
Both methods require no extra steps but the later is more secure.

yes it bugs me enough to leave the gnome keyring password empty which solves the problem but your passwords will be stored in plain text in chrome, not that it matters because once you unlock your gnome keyring at boot your passwords are still visible in plain text within chrome until reboot.

I am telling you there is a way.

There are two possibilities: on the first start of chromium for a user

1. it will either ask you to create a keyring or
  2. it will not ask you to create a keyring.

If you

1. create account and add it to many groups like wheel, polkitd, dbus, etc. before login for the first time.
  2. then login and open chromium.
    It will not ask you to create a keyring.
    Now if you sign in to chromium, it will just put all passwords in “login keyring”(safe behind your user password) and won’t ask you to unlock your keyring. It will also not ask you to sign in to your account every reboot.

You can check using “seahorse”. On the first start of chromium, it asks you create a keyring. If it does that, then your passwords will be safe in that keyring named “default keyring”. The key to this keyring should either be entered everytime or you have to select auto open at every login which puts this key in “Login Keyring”.
So there are no plain text passwords in both cases.

If you have encountered the option where you have to create a keyring, then most probably you have to sign in again (into chromium in settings) after every reboot.
If you are dead set to use chromium try to create the new account to get such an outcome. You have to get it sometime. (I had to repeat twice)

This is what I observed.
I don’t know about the technical stuff. It is just desperate trial and error. I can’t use anything but chrome/chromium.

doesn’t this defeat the purpose of “signing in to chromium” as your passwords are stored on a specific computer in the gnome default keyring?

Who’s post are you referring to here? Who are you asking? What is the THIS that you are asking about?

Passwords are also present online. This is just the way the offline cache or storage is present. Whenever you sign in to chrome/chromium, all data has to be downloaded. Then changes are synced. This online storage is either protected by your Google password or separate sync password if you chose so.

So you mean the local cache of google passwords etc is synced with a password that may be specific on one machine, but not necessarily on another machine from which you also access your google account?

And what about Chromium? Does that still sync on Google? I understood this was not the case.

But in any event, the local storage (if any) is protected by your Linux password, and its not stored in cleartext as I understand it.

The may thing that people grouse about that I have read is that your passwords can be seen in the settings page of Google Chrome,

So if you walk away and leave your screen and keyboard unlocked and your co-workers or housemates jump on it they could mine all of your passwords.

So don’t do that.

Or hijack your smartphone’s Facebook account and post rude comments! :smiley:

So don’t do that, either.

Oh, you need not fear…
Never have had a facebook account. Never will.

But yeah, I agree most people are far more at risk from their phones than their linux boxen.

1 Like

Please tell me how configure chromium so that I don’t have to sign in after every reboot.
I already told my observations in post 18.

sudo mv /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon-old
sudo killall gnome-keyring-daemon

Please read post 12 and 17.
I need gnome-keyring

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by