Check for leftover files/dead links?

Hi all, this might be kind of stupid but I’m pretty new to linux and like actually self-managing my software.

When I first installed Minecraft I git cloned the AUR repository and followed the build instructions. But then when I went to update it, it felt stupid to have to do that every time, so I searched and learned about trizen. So I installed trizen, and then installed the newest launcher with trizen -S minecraft-launcher

I’m like 99% certain this updated in-place. But I’m curious for a way to double-check that I don’t have any gunk left over from my manual install; or honestly just looking for someone more experienced to tell me that it’s totally fine and not necessary.

Thanks

:point_up: You learned how to manage AUR packages the proper way then discovered an AUR helper that did the same thing that made the task easier.

If you’re ever curious about untracked files on your system, you can install lostfiles from the repos. Only remove the files you know shouldn’t be there, like leftover files from a program you no longer have installed. Some programs have files that are written after installation that are necessary. One example are __pycache__ folders.

1 Like

You do realize that AUR packages are actually only build instructions right?
So when updating an AUR package, the actually installed package that it creates needs to be rebuild.
If im not wrong when you uninstall/upgrade packages in Manjaro/Arch the package manager removes the files that it used and no longer owns…

So when you upgrade an AUR package it rebuilds a fresh package, then does the normal upgrade of that package with the above mentioned logic.

The build process creates the needed files in a temporary place and cleans it up afterwards if it is designed well…

1 Like

While I think what you actually want is different from the thread title… I am going to answer anyways…

The following will search recursively from current location ( . ) for any broken symlinks:

find . -type l -exec sh -c 'file -b "$1" | grep -q ^broken' sh {} + -print
1 Like