Charging stops at 80%

I’ve been using an Acer Nitro 5 laptop for a while now and I installed Manjaro on it yesterday. But I forgot to turn off a setting that I enabled in Acer Care Center that prevents the laptop from charging past 80%. Of course, that was on Windows, and now that I’m on Manjaro I can’t use care center anymore. Is there any way I can change it so the battery charges above 80% again?

You can check in /sys/class/power_supply my battery is names BAT0

the file I need to change is /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/charge_stop_threshold

I don’t see a charge_stop_threshold but I do see a charge_full_design and charge_full. I assume charge_full is the threshold, while charge_full_design is the full capacity of the battery. I’m not sure what to do with this info though.

If it helps, the text in charge_full is 3481000 and the text in charge_full_design is 3733000

What’s the output of ls -la /sys/devices/platform/*acer*?

total 0
drwxr-xr-x  4 root root    0 Mar 21 18:48 .
drwxr-xr-x 30 root root    0 Mar 21 18:48 ..
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    0 Mar 21 18:48 driver -> ../../../bus/platform/dr
ivers/acer-wmi                                                               
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 4096 Mar 21 19:22 driver_override
-r--r--r--  1 root root 4096 Mar 21 19:22 modalias
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    0 Mar 21 19:22 power
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root    0 Mar 21 18:48 rfkill
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    0 Mar 21 18:48 subsystem -> ../../../bus/platform
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 4096 Mar 21 18:48 uevent

i just discovered the folders @selion mentioned,
i have a file named charge_control_end_threshold and inside it’s written 100.
maybe this is the file to edit??

@KibSquib48 seems like the file names vary between different vendors ( mine is a lenovo)

what other files do you have in your battery directory (ls /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/)?

If you changed this in Windows and the change persisted over the installation of Manjaro, then I would check in BIOS/UEFI if there is such an option to revert.

it’s actually BAT1 but I guess that’s just another vendor difference, the files in there are:
alarm
capacity
capacity_level
charge_full
charge_full_design
charge_now
current_now
cycle_count
manufacturer
model_name
present
serial_number
status
technology
type
uevent
voltage_min_design
and voltage_now

the model_name file says AP18E8M, I feel like that’s important

Maybe you can run a free Windows PE ISO on a USB and run the program you mentioned from there?

It does not look possible to set this value from the Linux side. At least there doesn’t seem to be a kernel interface for it on your machine. If you still have Windows then your best option is to start that and change the setting there.

I’m pretty sure the program is only compatible with windows 10 and I’m not sure if there’s a windows 10 PE iso that runs on an 8GB usb drive, that’s the highest I have right now

Uhmmm… if you wiped your Windows, how could that setting still be present in your machine? :thinking:
Most likely, as @mithrial wrote, the setting have been registered in your Acer Bios or, at most, in a Acer hidden partition.

As someone pointed it can be saved in the Bios maybe but also sometimes you can save some things inside hardware, literally. Good common example is a gaming mouse, which can have multiple settings and other advanced macros, without the need of the software once it is set you’re good. So it is possible there is somewhere in the hardware where it is saved from the Windows tool.

Yeah the second thing is probably it, there’s no option for battery threshold in the BIOS

Therefore, you just have to try to burn a Win10 iso, I suppose.

I have never try it, but the Win10XPE tool should be right for you.
Registration is required to enter in the Win10XPE forum.