Changing the disk usage

I would appreciate some advice, please.

Following a relocation incident with a data disk on a now-secondary machine I have decided to rework the topography of the disks on that m/c. The disks are a 250Gb SSB and a 1Tb Seagate. The current setup has the OS, swap and home installed on the SSD with the data (except for home itself) on the 1Tb.

I would like to move the home folder onto the 1Tb and reassign that disk as /home, keeping the OS on the SSD. After a (hopefully) successful reassignment I wish to reassign some of the SSD left by the removed home folder to increase the swap space, leaving the rest unassigned. I have backups in case of accident but would prefer not to reinstall the OS if possible; there are a lot of apps installed.

Can I use an installation USB to reassign the disk space without actually reinstalling the OS and all of the apps? Is there a better way to do it? What are the chances of success?

Pessimism suggests I will have to reinstall the OS and all of the software. If so, would the data be lost from the 1Tb disk or will it just move over to make room for the /home section of the OS?

It’s possible but I’m not convinced of your approach, I can’t believe 250 GiB is not sufficient to carry your OS incl. /home and swap, so please post first

sudo parted -l
lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,UUID,PARTTYPE,PARTTYPENAME

Sorry, posted wrong machine Correct one is:

Model: ATA HFS250G32TND-N1A (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 250GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size    Type     File system     Flags
 1      1049kB  241GB  241GB   primary  ext4
 2      241GB   250GB  9451MB  primary  linux-swap(v1)

Model: ATA ST1000DM010-2EP1 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      1049kB  1000GB  1000GB  primary  ntfs

Model: Maplin USB Flash Drive (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdd: 124GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start  End    Size   Type     File system  Flags
 1      492kB  124GB  124GB  primary  fat32        lba

Model: Seagate Backup+ Desk (scsi)
Disk /dev/sde: 4001GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 4096B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name  Flags
 1      1049kB  4001GB  4001GB  ext4

Generally, I agree; however putting $HOME on a separate partition is a good idea-you know $FECES happens.

Not for every one. I would see it as an option. For me personally it’s not beneficial to have a separate /home partition as it only contains the settings, personal data files are stored separately, which makes it easy just to backup user data and split it from timeshift snapshots. So, everybody should make it’s own educated decision. :stuck_out_tongue:

@dstiles, if you want to gain some space for your swap partition, why don’t your shrink your / partition (/dev/sda1)?

That is not the problem. I have to strip the Seagate 1Tb disk to reformat it as Ext4 anyway - being NTFS is a pain which prevented me recovering the system as a complete unit, not allowing me to change permissions etc.

I have to do something with the system, I’m just trying to work out the best way of setting it up. My new m/c is set up as I outlined above and I would like this one to be similar.