Changing password for keyring

I recently changed my password, using pwd and my root password using sudo pwd root. After that when I reboot, I am asked to enter my keyring password (my old password) at startup. I am guessing that is because the keyring was set to use my old personal password, and now they differ, and the keyring is not automatically unlocked.

On the arch wiki, it says, in the absolute last paragraph (GNOME/Keyring - ArchWiki):

Alternatively, you can remove “login.keyring” and “user.keystore” from /home/{username}/.local/share/keyrings/ . Be warned that this will permanently delete all saved keys. After removing the files, simply log out and log in again.

Is this the correct/recommended way for me to solve my problem? I run Cinnamon…

Same principle as mentioned here:

1 Like

Well, I haven’t forgotten my old password, I basically just want to change my keyring password?

Isn’t there a way to do that without installing the GUI (seahorse?)?

The second link i provided above explains how to do that. See the accepted answer and disregard the seahorse one …

But that links to the same page that I gave in my question. My question was about the last paragraph on that page?

See the second link :slight_smile:

I rebooted again, and this time it did not ask for the old password. I can only assume that, it asked for my old password the first time, to change the password for the keyring to my new password!? So it was just me being impatient, I guess.

Anyway, the problem seems to be solved…

works for me, removed my keyrings!