Change to non-rolling distro?

Hello everyone!
I'm a Manjaro user since 2017, because i like too much to always have the lastest packages as soon as possible. All these years using Manjaro i really enjoyed.

But the lastest months a big problem appears: Internet connection.
In my house i lost internet connection. What I'm doing to keep Manjaro updated?
Simply going to another location that have internet and use a older netbook (with manjaro) and using "pacman -Su --print-format %n" in the offline PC and pacredir service between computers to keep updated my home PC. Sounds crazy, no?

This last weeks the general internet in my country have very slowly connection (100 kbps, when generally is 1 Mbps) and is problematic because Manjaro have weekly updates that require 500MB - 1GB, currently happened with KDE Plasma things.

Keep a rolling distro updated is challenging for me now, and the partial upgrades are a dangerous thing when i just want to install a single package. My general use of my home computer is to use Graphic desing apps like Krita, Inkscape and other apps like Blender but with binary executables. Now I'm using their respective Appimages/Binaries to avoid install specific distro packages. This is cool for this type of situations.

Before Manjaro I used Ubuntu, I'm thinking to go back. There have similar methods to do offline updates: apt-offline, cdrom upgrades (upgrade from a ISO file). But I'm not secure that change relieve my problem. Takes montly update cycles but I want to no constantly updating the system every week and obligatorily do full upgrades to install one singular package later for avoid library problems, breaking system, etc.

Anybody have suggestions? I'm Undecided for now.

Thanks for reading.

It might be slightly better for you in terms of saving size and frequency .. but the core issue of updates or installs will still have you more or less doing the same thing.
Of course you can just not update manjaro until normal service returns .. but you will still need to update+install when you want something new. Though, again, you would still need to 'go somewhere else and download' to install anything new on ubuntu as well ... though the size and list of packages may be smaller most of the time.

1 Like

Speaking of AppImages, if I remember and understand correctly Nitrux have app repo with AppImages (and now uses Calamares for installation).
Never used it, only heard about it.

Thinking with more time... Changing to another distro would have the same issue. you're right.

I never learned to the "-dd" flag in pacman -S. Recently i put that flag in my commands and the number of packages to download reduced drastically.

I have Gnome in my main home PC and Xfce in the netbook. I store the list of packages to update in a plain text file. and put it with "cat" inside the command:

(Home PC)

pacman -Su --print-format %n > TextFileName

(Netbook with internet)

pacman -S $(cat TextFileName) -w -dd

I suppose what's happening here. When Gnome is not installed in the netbook, pacman tries to download the rest of dependencies too for the netbook, when is not necessary to download the entire Gnome desktop Pgks. With -dd pacman only download the packages in the list (file)

The amount of updates is not too expensive as I thought :man_facepalming:

But I take a break of this topic, I'm not going to another distro for now.

Anyway, thanks for replying.

A switch to testing would ease your problem smaller updates i used arch in the third world for years on half your connection speed had to change my approach slightly. What i did was update in the background several times a day, this worked for 8 years with no problems.

3 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by