Booting to tty instead of desktop on startup and restart

Hi, first time user here. I installed Manjaro and then while I was updating, my kernel broke for some reason or other. I got the message error file '/boot/vmlinuz' I fixed it from a recovery media by following the steps on a post here (can’t include the link, topic name is Boot error vmlinuz-5.6) but now every time I boot or restart I get to a black screen which asks for my login, and then I have to run startx to get to desktop. Can anyone help?

Hi @MKHAS, and welcome!

I suggest you enter a chroot environment from a USB flash drive and from there do an update.upgrade to re-sync your system. Bu the mirrors are currently busy syncing, so be careful when you sync. (In fact, this could have been, if not the complete reason why, at least partly the cause of this.)

How to chroot

1. Ensure you’ve got a relatively new ISO or at least one with a still supported LTS kernel.

2. Write/copy/dd the ISO to a USB thumb drive.

3. When done, boot with the above mentioned USB thumb drive into the live environment.

4. Once booted, open a terminal and enter the following command to enter the chroot encironment:

manjaro-chroot -a
  1. If you have more than one Linux installation, select the correct one to use from the list provided.

When done, you should now be in the chroot environment.

But, be careful, as you’re now in an actual root environment on your computer, so any changes you make will persist after a restart.

Once in the chroot environment, I suggest updating the package database:

sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 5 --country Global

If that’s successful, check the status of the mirrors:

pacman-mirrors --status

They should all say OK. If at least one says -- that mirror is out of sync should not be used.

If everything is OK, then upgrade the system to sync again:

pamac upgrade && pamac upgrade --aur --devel || echo -e '\033[0;91mThere was an error upgrading the system. AUR packages not upgraded.\e[0m'

This will update your system and ONLY if that was successful update any AUR packages.

a Reminder: While use of the AUR is possible, it’s neither recommended nor supported.

I recommend pamac instead of pacman, especially for newcomers as pamac was developed by Manajaro (developers) for Manjaro and just takes care of more thing than pacman.

Hello and thanks for replying. I’m still getting the same problem after running the commands. Also, since you brought it to my attention, would the problem also be causing programs to not launch? for example if I launch Chromium or Code they open a small icon on the task bar and then vanish immediately, when I launch them from the terminal I get error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libwoff2dec.so.1.0.2: file too short

Also by Pamac I assume you mean the ‘Add/Remove Software’ thingy?