Certbot is broken and out of date

Please calm down … there is no reason for this.

I have been using certbot the past 2 years without any issues.

I cannot say what your issue is or why but it is fairly obvious there is a mismatch.

We are both volunteer helpers giving away our free time on a forum. We are not team members.

I’m not mad, I am just disappointed that even after the issues with the devs pushing patches for the m1 chip incorrectly and many times I have but heard with users on this forum for acting so arrogant and unprofessional you would think someone would have learnt how to do things more professionally…

Imagine what Linus Torvalds would said if he had this kind of crap happening in his emails and development team. I am not the manager here but as one person to another who loves and adores Linux, open source and community driven project this is the kind of stuff that pushes people away especially from Manjaro or gets talked about in a negative way.

I just want to report a package issue and please kindly ask to get it fixed, I don’t wish to argue or fight about a simple bug report.

If the package was broken - we woujld hear a lot more of it

my webserver’s pkg cache - that is how long I have used certbot - with no issues.

$ ls -l /var/cache/pacman/pkg/certbot*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 429784 Oct  5 21:48 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/certbot-1.31.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    566 Oct  5 21:48 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/certbot-1.31.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz.sig
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 421136 Dec  9 06:30 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/certbot-2.1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    566 Dec  9 06:30 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/certbot-2.1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz.sig
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 421520 Jan 13 06:29 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/certbot-2.2.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    566 Jan 13 06:29 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/certbot-2.2.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz.sig
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 425328 Feb 17 03:35 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/certbot-2.3.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    566 Feb 17 03:35 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/certbot-2.3.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz.sig
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  73708 Oct  5 21:48 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/certbot-nginx-1.31.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    566 Oct  5 21:48 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/certbot-nginx-1.31.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz.sig
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  74604 Dec  9 06:30 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/certbot-nginx-2.1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    566 Dec  9 06:30 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/certbot-nginx-2.1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz.sig
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  74552 Jan 13 06:29 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/certbot-nginx-2.2.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    566 Jan 13 06:29 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/certbot-nginx-2.2.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz.sig
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  74732 Feb 17 03:35 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/certbot-nginx-2.3.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    566 Feb 17 03:35 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/certbot-nginx-2.3.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz.sig

That tells me the package in the Manjaro repo is not broken.

You will have to search your system for possible duplicates in your path somewhere - e.g. /usr/local/bin

yes I know and we all really appreciate the community effort and time you put into Manjaro ect but please don’t fall into this trap, we should all be kind to each other and not point fingers or argue over a simple bug report and assume it’s the user at fault here right off the bat, this has been a issue with Manjaros community and I really want it to change to something better organized and more positive. :slight_smile:

Is this on the Arm repo or the x86_64 repo?

Here is mine

s -l /var/cache/pacman/pkg/certbot*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 434759 Jan 13 00:42 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/certbot-2.2.0-1-any.pkg.tar.zst
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    119 Jan 13 00:42 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/certbot-2.2.0-1-any.pkg.tar.zst.sig
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 128549 Jan 13 00:42 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/certbot-apache-2.2.0-1-any.pkg.tar.zst
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    119 Jan 13 00:42 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/certbot-apache-2.2.0-1-any.pkg.tar.zst.sig
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  78015 Jan 13 00:42 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/certbot-nginx-2.2.0-1-any.pkg.tar.zst
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    119 Jan 13 00:42 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/certbot-nginx-2.2.0-1-any.pkg.tar.zst.sig

This is on ARM - but the certbot is architecture agnostic - as it is written in python - so whether it is in the x86_64 repo or the ARM repo the package works the same.

There is no problem with python or certbot on a default Manjaro x86_64 stable install.

$ certbot --version
certbot 2.2.0
$ sudo certbot -v
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Certbot doesn't know how to automatically configure the web server on this system. However, it can still get a certificate for you. Please run "certbot certonly" to do so. You'll need to manually configure your web server to use the resulting certificate.

The problem you are facing is specific to your system. You should start debuging why certbot on your system is not working as expect and not falsely claim a package problem.

1 Like

Exactly but I wonder what the issue is if it is working for you on Arm64 but not for me in x86_64

I cannot say what - but you could start with searching your path

which certbot

Then you can continue checking the certbot scripts in /usr/bin

When you get this version requirement with version between 1.8 and 2.0 then the first place to search is the path - start with

• ~/.local/bin
  • /usr/local/bin
  • /usr/bin

Also check your jellyfin installation if it installs a certbot script or reference - perhaps it is built in a requirement for an earlier version of certbot - I have really no idea - but I am fairly certain it is a local issue.

I am not dismissing you having an issue - that is obvious - but the solution is not with the certbot package.

Oh really?

Say what you will, but you are the source of quite a few of the issues in this thread.

1 Like

I can confirm that it is in /usr/bin/

I have nothing in .local/bin
nothing in /usr/local/bin
and I see certbot in /usr/bin

no there is no installation of certbot from jellyfin anyhwere, you require to install certbot yourself so you can use it to do any letsencrypt stuff.

Yes I report issues, I see a issue or bugs I report them to help fix them, that’s how it work, I haven’t caused any issues and if reporting a simple issue is causing issues than clearly there is a management and attitude issue. I love Manjaro and I want to see it improve especially when it comes to how people manage it.

Since it is python there should be not problems doing

sudo pacman -U http://mirror.easyname.at/manjaro/unstable/community/x86_64/certbot-2.3.0-1-any.pkg.tar.zst
sudo pacman -U http://mirror.easyname.at/manjaro/unstable/community/x86_64/certbot-apache-2.3.0-1-any.pkg.tar.zst

Then you will see if it solves the issue.

I literally wasn’t even trying to push blame onto you but you have blown things way out of proportion by immediately assuming the worst. You continued to double down by being quite rude to volunteers on a tech support website, and tripled down by refusing to admit that you had any blame for the ensuing argument.

It is not even 8am and already my patience for the day is exhausted, goodbye. Godspeed @linux-aarhus

I’ll try it and let you know if that works. :slight_smile:

You were the one assuming things when you claimed I was using some sort of custom script, just saying

which means that you intentionally set up and ran Python code that you either wrote yourself or downloaded from the internet. It could not have gotten there from Manjaro.

Still seems to be doing it

[corey@corey-serverpc ~]$ sudo pacman -U http://mirror.easyname.at/manjaro/unstable/community/x86_64/certbot-2.3.0-1-any.pkg.tar.zst
[sudo] password for corey: 
:: Retrieving packages...
 certbot-2.3.0-1-any                        428.3 KiB  79.5 KiB/s 00:05 [########################################] 100%
loading packages...
resolving dependencies...
warning: cannot resolve "python-acme=2.3.0", a dependency of "certbot"
:: The following package cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
      certbot

:: Do you want to skip the above package for this upgrade? [y/N] y
looking for conflicting packages...
 there is nothing to do
[corey@corey-serverpc ~]$ sudo pacman -U http://mirror.easyname.at/manjaro/unstable/community/x86_64/certbot-apache-2.3.0-1-any.pkg.tar.zst
:: Retrieving packages...
 certbot-apache-2.3.0-1-any                 125.6 KiB  54.9 KiB/s 00:02 [########################################] 100%
loading packages...
resolving dependencies...
warning: cannot resolve "certbot=2.3.0", a dependency of "certbot-apache"
warning: cannot resolve "python-acme=2.3.0", a dependency of "certbot-apache"
:: The following package cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
      certbot-apache

:: Do you want to skip the above package for this upgrade? [y/N] y
looking for conflicting packages...
 there is nothing to do
[corey@corey-serverpc ~]$ certbot -v
An unexpected error occurred:
pkg_resources.VersionConflict: (certbot 2.2.0 (/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages), Requirement.parse('certbot<2.0,>=1.18.0'))
Ask for help or search for solutions at https://community.letsencrypt.org. See the logfile /tmp/certbot-log-gf1f3oju/log or re-run Certbot with -v for more details.

Also noticed other warning messages.

I forgot about the possible dependencies.

There is too many dependencies on various other packages (python mostly) which may not be available.

One workaround is to switch to testingj - run a full system update - then switch back and ignore the local newer than messages until next stable snap.

sudo pacman-mirrors -aStesting
sudo pacman -Syyu
sudo pacman-mirrors -aSstable

Then you may also need to rebuild jellyfin to match

:candle: could it be because jellyfin is custom package from AUR (Arch stable) therefore requirements may not be met using Manjaro stable.

Personally - when relying on custom buildscripts from AUR on a production system - always use unstable branch - and don’t use an update notifier - create your own schedule - and inspect changes using checkupdates before applying anything to a production system.

Hmm well I don’t really wish to switch to testing for my server

Maybe but I am not sure, these are the only dependencies it requires and doesn’t require python at all.

Weirdly enough certbot does work on my pi 4