Caret Browsing making Manjaro unusable

I have no idea which category to post this support request in.

I have used Manjaro Plasma for around 10 years with very few problems.

I am running a R3600 with an AMD graphics card and 16gig of ram. I usually have Firefox, Librewolf and Brave on 3 different Activities.

Yesterday, with my 3 browsers open, I was also inputting data into a Libre Office spreadsheet. All of a sudden, the spell check opened and each time I closed it, it opened again.

On my Librewolf Activity, I found the following:

This box will not close, no matter what I do. Hitting F7 does nothing.

I have shut down programs and Activities. Also I have restarted and shut down my machine many times. After doing these things, everything seems fine for about 10 minutes, then the problem happens again.

I have turned off spell checking in Libre Office. I thought this solved the problem but it came back in about 20 minutes.

I have searched online. There is plenty of information there, but none of it is related to getting rid of caret browsing, especially in Linux. I have searched the AUR and this forum, but nothing there either.

I am hoping that someone here can help me, or point me in the right direction.

Many thanks.

Dennis

Hello,

Both - spell check in libreoffice and caret browsing in most browsers that support it, are triggered by the F7 key, and from your description i can only conclude that on your keyboard the F7 key is stuck. Start investigating that.

2 Likes

Thanks so much, I’ll look into the F7 key straight away.

Thanks again. I took the keyboard apart, cleaned it up and changed the back-lit display. So far, so good.
If things are still working well tomorrow, I’ll close the post.

All the best :grinning:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.