Can't upgrade the system

hi, I wanted to upgrade the system (I admit I haven’t done it for quite some time). But I get this error message :

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing lib32-libcanberra (0.30+2+gc0620e4-5) breaks dependency 'lib32-libcanberra=0.30+2+gc0620e4-3' required by lib32-libcanberra-gstreamer
:: installing libcanberra (0.30+2+gc0620e4-5) breaks dependency 'libcanberra=0.30+2+gc0620e4-3' required by libcanberra-gstreamer
:: installing pacman (6.0.0-2) breaks dependency 'pacman<5.3' required by package-query

seem some packages are in conflict or too old. If I use the package manager Gui, I get this :

could not satisfy dependencies:
- removing package-query breaks dependency 'package-query>=1.9' required by yaourt,
- if possible, remove yaourt and retry`Preformatted text`
sudo pacman -S pacman 
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing pacman (6.0.0-2) breaks dependency 'pacman<5.3' required by package-query
:: installing pacman (6.0.0-2) breaks dependency 'pacman<5.3' required by pamac-common

Updating pacman is also not permitted

Any idea to solve this ? thanks !

Have a look into this:

yaourt is not recommended, deinstall it and use a more up-to-date AUR helper like yay or paru or use pamac for your AUR packages as well.

I would at least temprary remove package-query and pamac-common and then try to update again.

I will redirect you to the announcement threads, check them and read the known issues. Stable Updates - Manjaro Linux Forum

thank for the quick answer. I should have made some research first…I removed youart and its Gui, followed the recommandation regarding lib32-libcanberra. The install is running now. Hope for the best.

I think i’ll check the forum at each new updates.

1 Like

Yeah you can do that (the best is to go to the link I gave you, and ‘subscribe’ to this sub forum by clicking the bell on top right corner of page, and selecting Watching First Post so you have notification in the forum), or you can install the new application called matray it is still in development as it is recent [APP] - matray - Manjaro announcements tray app (the new one) but it already has many great features and is fairly configurable to get notified of new ISO releases, Twitter news from Manjaro, ANNOUNCEMENTS (that’s what you want to be aware of new update announcements and have a direct link to the forum thread), and other options… Try it if you don’t mind having another app in your system tray.

PS: it is now in the repos so you can install it easily.

The install went great. No issues. Maybe i should update more regularly . I’ll check matray for the next updates and subscribe to the forum. could be more useful than creating a thread for already answered questions :laughing: .

thanks for the help !

1 Like

I would recommend to read #announcements first and then to update at least every two months.