Can't update my system because of some weird nvidia error

Yes, I have read some of the other threads about nvidia, but mine is saying something different.

‘’'could not satisfy dependencies:

• unable to satisfy dependency ‘nvidia-418xx-utils=418.113’ required by linux54-nvidia-418xx’’’

This is already installed, so what on earth is it talking about? All of my other updates are being held up by this one stupid thing, and it’s getting on my nerves.

Hi!
Are you using kernel 5.4?

Yes. I’m using kernel 5.4.

I did a system restore back to yesterday because I deleted one of the nvidia files, hoping that would help, but it didn’t. Now I have the original error, which I forgot to mention. The error I showed was after trying to remove one of the files that were supposedly conflicting.

Here is the other one:

nvidia-450xx-utils and nvidia-418xx-utils are in conflict

could not satisfy dependencies:
unable to satisfy dependency 'nvidia-418xx-utils=418.113' required by linux54-nvidia-418xx
Warning: removing nvidia-418xx-utils breaks 'nvidia-418xx-utils' required by lib32-nvidia-418xx-utils
Add lib32-nvidia-418xx-utils to remove

We’ve all been having issues with these drivers lately. Are you looking to install the latest drivers?

I’m just trying to update my system, and this is the response I got.

Alright. That’s a bit vague… you can update everything except the conflicting package, if you want. But if you want to update everything (including to the latest video card drivers) you will have to manually remove the package and then do the update.

If you tell me which of these options you want to go for, I can help you from there :slight_smile:

I’m not really sure, tbh. LOL I just want to get all 125 of my updates, you know? I have no idea what the ideal option is.

Are you new to Manjaro/Linux? Do you use it for gaming or browsing?

No, I’m not new to Manjaro. I’ve used it off and on for a few years, but I’m not an expert or a programmer or anything like that. Just a regular person. I’m not a gamer but I use Firestorm for Second Life. And, yes, I use a browser.

Alright. Thanks for the info. You strictly wouldn’t need to update to the latest Nvidia drivers, then. But we might as well just do it so that you don’t have to do it again at the next update.

Open up a terminal and write sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia-418xx, then sudo pacman -R linux54-nvidia-418xx lib32-nvidia-418xx-utils and reboot. After rebooting, open up a terminal again and write sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia-450xx, reboot again, open up a terminal sudo pacman -Syyu, reboot and everything should be up-to-date :slight_smile:

Please let me know how it goes.

[cj@cj-desktop ~]$ sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia-418xx
[sudo] password for cj: 
> Removing video-nvidia-418xx...
Sourcing /etc/mhwd-x86_64.conf
Has lib32 support: true
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/local/pci/video-nvidia-418xx/MHWDCONFIG
Processing classid: 0300
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300
Processing classid: 0302
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing nvidia-418xx-utils breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils' required by cuda
Error: pacman failed!
Error: script failed!
[cj@cj-desktop ~]$

Ah. You have cuda installed, too. Try this instead: sudo pacman -R linux54-nvidia-418xx lib32-nvidia-418xx-utils cuda

Okay, that went through. Should I proceed with the other commands now?

If you already rebooted, you can execute this:

1 Like

What about this^? That is an additional command you said I should type in before reboot.

We did that command - I just added cuda at the end of the string :slight_smile:

LOL! Oh okay. Ill reboot now.

Rebooted and got a black screen. That messed it up. I’m on my thinkpad now.

Aw, shucks. Okay, looks like you have to enter tty.

When you get to the grub menu, press ‘e’ on the first entry. There should be a line that starts with ‘linux’ and ends with a ‘3’. Skip to the end of this line, press space and enter another ‘3’ at the end (DON’T ADD/REMOVE ANYTHING ELSE) and press ‘F10’.

I didn’t get a grub menu.