Can't switch to higher resolution

I just changed my screen for a better one. Right now my resolution is 2560x1440, when I open nvidia-settings and switch to 3840x2160 and apply I get a black screen.

I tried reinstalling the nvidia drivers with sudo mhwd -f -i pci video-nvidia, but no luck.

arandr

You might have some success using xrandr to set your desired resolution.

sudo pacman -S xrandr

(if not already installed)

Or, as the previous poster probably meant to express: ARandR: Another XRandR GUI, which is a gui version of xrandr.

sudo pacman -S arandr

I hope this helps. Cheers.

Same with xrandr / arandr, 3840x2160 is listed as an option, but when I apply it I get a black screen.

You might try using xrandr outside the GUI, via a TYY, the procedure for which is outlined in this unrelated article. Then reboot.

Being that I don’t use i3wm, I can’t offer anything overly constructive. I’m also not aware of the current status of Wayland in i3wm, however, that might be worth investigating.

I’ll chime in again if I think of anything useful. Cheers.

sway is the wayland version of i3.

Unfortunately I also get a black screen when I try to enter TTY using Ctrl Alt F4.

Not super familiar with Wayland or Sway, are those needed for higher resolutions ?

Which are the relevant log files I could look at after getting a black screen to try to find out what’s going on?

Strictly, no. However, when using other Display Environments, Wayland can sometimes make a difference, mainly due to much developer attention to it in recent times as opposed X11.

As mentioned above, Sway is the i3 version of Wayland, and there is conveniently a separate Sway distribution. Whether it will ultimately make much difference in your case, I can’t say.

Some users have claimed choosing a different cable (eg: DP to HDMI) has produced results in similar situations. Naturally, that’s wasted money if it fails to make a difference.

Changing your kernel could also produce positive results, as this Arch user found. If you haven’t updated recently, the latest iteration of kernel 6.6 might be worth trying; either that, or the latest 6.1.x LTS.

1 Like

Thank you, I installed the 6.6.8-2 kernel. After rebooting and changing the resolution I still got a black screen, but now after another reboot it seems to work, I don’t think I changed anything else. Strange issue…

Also, I have to change the resolution manually after each boot, it doesn’t seem to save eventhough it’s set properly in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Well, you’re halfway there, it seems.

@cscs might be able to give some insight on retaining that resolution; having it survive a reboot; or at least, have a few thoughts on the matter.

It might be an idea to post the content of your xorg.conf, in case it’s helpful.

I don’t use Nvidia or high resolution monitors (and not i3 either), so I’m not likely much help from this point forward. Cheers.

1 Like

Check and update the Nvidia driver to the latest version compatible with your hardware.

And I havent seen a physical nvidia in half a decade at least. (still wasnt mine)

That said.

Please put configurations in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
ex: /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/custom.conf

As always it makes sense to get general system info

inxi -Fazy