Can't start Davinci Resolve anymore

I’ve done more than 123 works and render them with this machine and same configs. But after last manjaro update (3-5 days ago) got this issue which is unfix-able as i see in the forums.

I think the .run has old and/or incompatible stuff. There’s no way to be sure, since when I went to download it this morning to see what I could see, I was met with an

504 Gateway Time-out

So I honestly have no idea further.

I’ve tried with Yay Aur and with pamac AUT activation both of them are the same result!

Switch to 6.1 kernel.

Anything installed outside the package manager is unsupported and is unlikely to work for a longer period - if at all.

Even though the package manager supports installing from AUR, Flatpak and Snap - it is unsupported.

$ pamac search --aur davinci
davinci-resolve-studio-beta  18.5b4-1                              AUR
    Professional A/V post-production software suite from
    Blackmagic Design. Studio edition, requires license key or
    license dongle.
davinci-resolve-studio  18.6.4-1                                   AUR
    Blackmagic Design. Studio edition, requires license key or
    license dongle.
davinci-resolve-beta  18.5b4-1                                     AUR
    Blackmagic Design
davinci-resolve  18.6.4-1                                          AUR
    Blackmagic Design

For more information see → [Need-To-Know] About Manjaro and AUR

The issue has nothing to do with kernel and hardware stuff!

Manjaro LInux is neither Fedora nor Ubuntu - not deb based - not rpm based - but pacman based

Manjaro is rolling release - third party applications - yes they may break and no … there is nothing wrong with Manjaro in that regard.

What is wrong is your way of installing Davinci Resolve - NEVER use the installer provided by the vendor. The same goes for Nvidia drivers - just to name another example.

Not every team member is admin or moderator.

Don’t attack me - concentrate on the problem - a problem you caused by insisting you don’t need to install an application using the correct methods - which is pacman and a custom PKGBUILD.

The link provided - contains information you need to know if you want to use packages on Manjaro LInux - which is not in the official repo.

If you really don’t want to use a PKGBUILD you will have to look towards flatpak or snap.

1 Like

Oh, really? But did you actually try it?

Judging from the AUR comments, you should really try kernel 6.1.

Y’know, being as aggressive and confrontational as this is the quickest, easiest way to get people to not help you.

If you don’t want to do thing the way they are supposed to be done, the way they’re recommended by Forum members with how many successes under their belt, well, then you don’t really want help.

The way I see it at the moment is the way you insist of doing things, which isn’t supported, fits inn with other distros, as you said, but not Manjaro. So it would be better, it seems, if you used those distros as they suit you more. That’s the beauty of Linux: choice. Real choice.

Indeed. It is quite possibly because Arch and Manjaro’s libraries’ versions are newer, since it did work, until an upgrade. So they don’t anymore. That is neither Manjaro’s nor Arch’s fault. If anything, thee fault is t5rying to use old, outdated software on a new, updated Operating System. Which, again, is neither recommended nor supported by either Arch nor Manjaro. It’s the user, you in this case, that seems to want to shove a square peg in a round hole, and now you’re angry at the universe that it doesn’t fit, instead of using a round peg, or looking for the right hole. So I’m guessing you’d find this a bit helpful:

OP doesn’t use the AUR and don’t want to…

2 Likes

I know, but the software they’re trying to run should still be the same, no?

:man_shrugging:

Don’t know. Maybe. Maybe not.

Yes, And doesn’t work and gave the same error (not starting).

Again you are attacking the person - not the problem - this is not productive at all.

@moderators please consider this thread’s value going forward.

Please see DaVinci Resolve - ArchWiki

One specific paragraph may be of interest → Using application in portable way

2 Likes

@moderators please unlist this.

Not guidelines, no. Strict Forum Rules and guidelines

And it’s not anyone here’s job to coddle you. You’re supposed to be an adult, but instead you make demands and throw tantrums when things don’t go your way. Seems very unadultish to me.

The only toxic thing here is you elistist, entitled attitude. @linux-aarhus gave you an answer after you insulted him, threatened to leave Manjaro, and has been generally unpoleasant and uncooperative here.

But I don’t want to go into a flame-war, so @moderators, I repeat my plea to please unlist this thread.

→ You installed a third party application
→ You installed it using a third party installer

That is your choice.

Yes you did - and the answer is - there is nothing we can do about it.

Effectively using the forum to get support

We cannot provide any meaningful responses in helping you with issue if you insist on doing it your way. If you want help you will have to accept that experienced members here know their way around the system.

And you will have to accept that your way of doing things may not be the ideal way - you will have to be willing to learn and possibly adjust your understanding and handling of the operating system.

→ See their forum → Blackmagic Forum • View topic - Linux Users: Which distro is better for Resolve?

Which is CentOS - if I recall correct - thus it makes Fedora a good bet for a distribution supporting Davinci Resolve.

I would even go as far as recommending you to create a developer account with Red Hat - this will give you access to Red Hat Enterprise Workstation which I see as a very, very good alternative considering CentOS was/is based on Red Hat Enterprise Server source.

As every other distribution Manjaro Linux offers no warranties of any kind and license is GPL

1. Disclaimer of Warranty.

THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE PROGRAM “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.

1. Limitation of Liability.

IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MODIFIES AND/OR CONVEYS THE PROGRAM AS PERMITTED ABOVE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE PROGRAM (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A FAILURE OF THE PROGRAM TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER PROGRAMS), EVEN IF SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

1. Interpretation of Sections 15 and 16.

If the disclaimer of warranty and limitation of liability provided above cannot be given local legal effect according to their terms, reviewing courts shall apply local law that most closely approximates an absolute waiver of all civil liability in connection with the Program, unless a warranty or assumption of liability accompanies a copy of the Program in return for a fee.
Free Software Foundation - GNU Public License (GPL)

Disclaimer

No warranties, either express or implied, are hereby given for anything provided by Manjaro Linux (“Software”). All Software is supplied without any accompanying guarantee, whether expressly mentioned, implied or tacitly assumed. This information does not include any guarantees regarding quality, does not describe any fair marketable quality, and does not make any claims as to quality guarantees or guarantees regarding the suitability for a special purpose. The user assumes all responsibility for damages resulting from the use of the software.
Manjaro Web - Terms of Use

1 Like

Nobody was being toxic. There are certain ways of installing software that are less than ideal on Arch based systems, but you seem to not want to accept that reality.

2 Likes

This thread has stopped going nowhere — it has already reached that destination. :facepalm: