Cant start after software update

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your time…

I’m a longtime user of Manjaro, though I don’t consider myself a power user. Usually it just works, so I don’t have to get too technical.

Yesterday I did a full software update (not from the terminal, instead I used the GUI). It ended with a prompt telling me that for the changes to be accepted I would need to do a full system restart.

On doing a restart I get the typical intro Manjaro screen telling me my start up options…

• Manjaro Linux,
  • Advanced options for Manjaro Linux,
  • Windows 10 (on /dev/sda1)
  • Memory tester (memtest86+)

After just a couple seconds I am met with a stack trace on the screen.
I’m not able to embed a picture of the stack trace on this post, but the last line is…
—[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0) ]—

If I move the mouse, I am able to chose other options. This stops the timer that produces the stack trace error and I can stay on that screen as long as needed.

From this screen I can see that I’m running GNU GRUB version 2.02

If there is another post where someone already addressed this issue, please direct me to it.

It’s been several months since I’ve updated any packages on my machine (if that matters).

Thanks again for your time

Most likely the initramfs is broken. Not enough space? Since this image is broken now, you would need to boot a live session, chroot into it (manjaro-chroot -a)and recreate it: mkinitcpio -P and update-grub.

What a comedian: “if that matters”. :laughing: Problems happen, mostly, because one skip upgrade steps and just install the current one.

What’s your kernel version? If it’s below 5.10, maybe this post will help you.