Cant Run Dotnet Applications

Im a big noob because I just switched from windows to linux. So Im trying to do some c# developing with Jetbrains rider and I think I installed the dotnet sdk and runtime at least they show up in rider. However when trying to run a simple application I get this error message /snap/core18/current/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.32’ not found (required by /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6). I have no idea what is causing this so help would be appreciated

Is your system fully updated? If not run

sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syyu

and reboot.

I am using Rider - no issues.

What caught my eye was the relation to snap - how is a snap installation related to Rider and dotnet on your system? This doesn’t add up - at least to my knowledge.

I use dotnet from the repo and Rider using the Jetbrains Toolbox App.

Yeah I did that and it said no updates available.

I installed it with snap following the documentation on installing dotnet with snap
I know its not the best way but I tought it might work but it seems like a no

I see.

If you’ll take advice from a seasoned developer I suggest you do as follows

• remove what you have installed using snap (I don’t use snap - so I don’t know how)

When it has been removed it is time to setup dotnet and Rider.

Dotnet is straight forward using pacman (you will get the latest stable)

sudo pacman -S dotnet-host dotnet-runtime dotnet-sdk dotnet-targeting-pack

Next is Rider where you can use the Toolbox or the Rider archive.

As I have a subscription for all the tools I prefer the toolbox - but before that happened I downloaded the archive from the website.

wget https://download.jetbrains.com/rider/JetBrains.Rider-2021.2.2.tar.gz

Then unpack the archive

tar -xzf JetBrains.Rider-2021.2-2.tar.gz

Then cd into the folder and run the launcher from the bin folder

cd JetBrains.Rider-2021.2-2/bin && rider.sh
1 Like

Thanks it worked. I was away for a few days so couldnt test that but now I have confirmed that that works.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.