Can't reinstall video-modesetting : Error: config 'video-modesetting' is not installed"

Kinda. I bought it a week ago, it had windows 10 working normally, i immediately installed Ubuntu using a live usb (from that old classical GUI instalation mode) and the black screen started.
I’ll try windows 10 now and see how it goes.

yes but you were able to boot normally into ubuntu usb, thats what im saying … and did you formatted the whole disk, when you installed ubuntu?

Oh, sorry. I was able to boot into Ubuntu Grub (as well as Manjaro and Gparted Grub), and after that i was able to successfully install Ubuntu in the whole disk, using the recommended instalation process. But besides that, no, i was never able to boot and use/experiment any linux Os. It never even showed the logo of ubuntu/manjaro. Its like it can’t load any graphical stuff.
All Gparted live, Ubuntu and Manjaro usb live, none of them ever sucefully booted into desktop in this Pc, but all of them sucefully booted on this notebook.

so you are able to boot with the usbs on a notebook but not on the desktop?
how is the windows installation looking?

Yes, exactly. Every time it didn’t worked on the Pc, i tested on the notebook and it worked.
The windows 10 instalation seems to be working just fine, so far. It’s installing.

ok, did you choose now to format the whole disk for installing windows?

Yes, i deleted the two linux partitions and windows created 3 partitions. Its installing right now. Lets see if windows will boot normally as before.

The windows 10 was installed and successfully booted. I didn’t do anything different on the installation process other then the Os itself. Same BIOS configuration. Same notebook to build the live pendrive. So the problem is Linux compatibility with my motherboard ? The problem is that i already read my motherboard manual and found only 1 mention to linux, wich didn’t helped.
I have being installing all sorts of Linux distros for years, full installations, live usb, persistent live usb. Nothing like this ever happened.
I think i will try to make a new Manjaro pendrive using Ventoy (such a great suggestion, thanks!) from windows this time, because i don’t know what to do anymore.

disable fast startup in windows first and then try booting into manjaro usb, and see if it helped

Done, but the results were the same
The BIOS fast boot option is disabled, as well as secure boot.
I tried both Manjaro and Ubuntu live this time. Both of them still ends in a black screen.
Both pendrives made trough ventoy from windows, on the problematic Pc.

Windows is working, but No linux image seems to

im talking about fast startup in windows, that needs to be disabled too:

1 Like

Oh, sorry., my bad.
So, i disabled it and tried again, but nothing changed.
I tried to boot Manjaro normaly, and then changing the grub to nomodeset. But it ended in the same black screen again.

ok, what graphics are you using? intel or amd or nvida or dual graphics?

Amd a6-7480 radeon r5, it has integrated graphics.

so in the grub menu press ‘E’ and add these parameters to the kernel line, and pay attention if you write them correctly:

radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 amdgpu.cik_support=1

then press f10 to boot with them

Unfortunately it didn’t worked… I have tried this one before but i just tried again, and nothing different happens. The instructions i saw before, said the code should be placed in the same place that “nomodeset” should go, is that right ? If so, then unfortunately it didn’t fixed the black screen =/ Dam

just to be sure, this is where you add the boot parameters:

do you run in efi mode?
if yes disable efi in bios and boot ventoy in bios mode and try…
if it doesnt work, try adding the nomodeset parameter again;
if it doesnt work try adding this parameter:
amdgpu.dc=0

1 Like

IT WORKED !
I ran both in “UEFI” and “legacy and UEFI” modes the following :

radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 amdgpu.cik_support=1
nomodeset

Both were placed right after Driver=nonfree in the printscreen of your post, like : Driver=nonfree nomodeset

For every test so far, including these i just tried :

• If the grub is different of nomodeset :

• Manjaro will load until “Target sound Card” appears, then it will go black
  • If the grub has nomodeset:

• It will load until Gnome dislpay mannager, and then a black screen with a blinking underline will appear, and i will be able to enter TTY.

But placing amdgpu.dc=0 after Driver=nonfree solved. The system successfully. Now i’ll finally install Manjaro. Thanks!
But why do you think this happened ?

glad it worked …
you will have to add this parameter into your installation also, otherwise you will probably not be able to boot it …
you add it in:
etc/default/grub and in this line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT inside the quotes you add the parameter:
amdgpu.dc=0
dont remove anything from there, just add it to existing parameters, then save the file, update grub with:
sudo update-grub
reboot

check this link:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.