Can't open Manjaro settings manager

I am having a similar problem with a freshly installed instance of Manjaro Linux (KDE Plasma) version 21.2.1-220103-linux515.

The settings manager can be run from a terminal via manjaro-settings-manager. This works as expected. It can also be launched from the application launcher. However, clicking on the icon in the system tray widget does absolutely nothing. All other icons in the system tray work as expected, though.

Guessing this is a system tray widget bug or some specific configuration related to this entry in the system tray. Didn’t see anything obvious at https://bugs.kde.org/

Thanks.

And that is the expected behaviour. AFAIK, the tray icon is there to show critical messages like running on a old kernel or missing a language pack :slightly_smiling_face:

Right-click.

I am like in another universe: do not have idea why MSM need to block typical user action of simple left click on MSM’es system tray icon. Every app icon is OK with left click, but not the MSM…

Your terse response is absolutely right. It works with right-click, from the command-line, and from the application launcher. However, it doesn’t work with left-click or left-double-click.

Note that I can’t actually open the (root) settings manager directly from the right-click menu. I have to to right-click and pick one of the options, and then click a button to go back to All Settings. After that, the icon disappears altogether from the system tray widget!

I’ve never used KDE before. If this is the expected behavior, then I’ll just have to nod and go on my merry way.

Then I am in a different timeline … I simply dont have a tray item at all. :slight_smile:
(manjaro-settings-manager-notifier or manjaro-settings-manager-knotifier not installed)

As to “why” the click function is like this - I dont know. I also dont know why the notifications work the way they do, such as pushing this notification when there is simply a newer kernel in existence: "Newer kernel is available, please update.", which I consider a bug, and reported as such years ago.

So, I dont much care about the click thing. But feel free to add it to the complaint pile - this is not the first time this behavior has been noticed or posted about.

1 Like