Cant mount my Ntfs drive after switching from Ubuntu

Just installed manjaro.
At /run/media/user/ there are no devices, but in Dolphin file manager there is my Drive. I dont know what have i done wrong. Please somebody help because i have all my important data here.

Error message: ,An error occurred while accessing ‘Data’, the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/nvme0n1p5 at /run/media/user/Data: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/nvme0n1p5, missing codepage or helper program, or other error"

Please search the forum - there is dozens of similar topics

e.g. Error mounting NTFS HDD: Wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock

https://forum.manjaro.org/search?q=ntfs%20mount%20error

1 Like

Take a look at post #2 here or as linux-aarhus suggested:

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Some Tips, when using linux(manjaro) with important data:

Switch from Windows - how to use GNU/Linux:

Make Backups:

You also may consider using timeshift or snapper

Please install 2 kernels (one of them LTS)

:footprints:

Hi @lmiki9 and welcome to the Manjaro community

This error usually indicates that the NTFS filesystem is damaged.

1. Fix the error using chkdsk

If an error exists on the NTFS filesystem, it should be corrected within a Windows environment; which can be achieved by launching an administrative command prompt and using the chkdsk command:

chkdsk /f x:

x: denotes the drive letter of the disk as it appears in Windows.

If a Windows installation is not available, chkdsk may also be run from a bootable Windows installer, or the downloadable Hiren’s BootCD PE; as one possible example.

2. Blacklist the ntfs3 kernel module, and use ntfs-3g (Optional)

Install ntfs-3g:

# Check whether the `ntfs-3g` package is installed
pacman -Qi ntfs-3g

# Install the `ntfs-3g` package, if needed
sudo pacman -S ntfs-3g

Blacklist ntfs3:

echo 'blacklist ntfs3' | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/disable-ntfs3.conf
  • To reverse this decision at any time delete disable-ntfs3.conf:
sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/disable-ntfs3.conf
  • The ntfs-3g package may remain installed, if desired, as the ntfs3 kernel driver will take precedence if it is not blacklisted.

A note on blacklisting ntfs3 in favour of ntfs-3g:

The ntfs3 kernel driver can appear to fail if damage; or, rather, an indicator of damage; to an NTFS formatted drive is found (commonly referred to as a dirty bit).

ntfs-3g, however, ignores this dirty bit and mounts the NTFS partition, regardless.

Important to note is that the NTFS filesystem may still be damaged. ntfs-3g allows you to continue using your drive blissfully unaware that a problem still exists.

Blacklisting ntfs3 when it fails to mount an NTFS filesystem, and using ntfs-3g instead, can allow the partition to be mounted – but that’s all it does – any indicator of damage to the drive is completely ignored; and loss of data is possible.

Any actual damage to the NTFS filesystem still needs to be repaired using the methods previously outlined, in a Windows environment.

I hope this helps. Cheers.

It really doesn’t seem like you need to do that; and besides, if the NTFS filesystem is damaged, as the error shows, it will still be damaged after a reinstall. You need to fix that, regardless.

i did backlist ntfs3 and now its working. thank you so much

Working, yes. Fixed? No.

Read the information carefully. All the blacklisting does is to allow it to mount. It doesn’t repair the disk. That must be done in Windows, or as described earlier.

If you keep using the drive now, you will ultimately allow more damage to accumulate; which means you can lose data. Scary? It should be! So, fix it with chkdsk as soon as you possibly can.

:end warnings

Im gonna make a backup of my drive. And try what you said thanks

1 Like

Well, as long as you keep using NTFS on linux, strange stuff will keep happening.

NTFS is microsoft closed source.
If you want to have a shared partition between the operating systems, use exFat.