Can't login after update

After installing an update, I can no longer login. I have tried logging in with multiple accounts (normal, root, and a spare one). The password is definitely correct, it is the same as the Windows partition which I can still login to. I would appreciate any help, I don’t know where to start diagnosis without logging in!

Thanks

Possibly problems with PAM in the update:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Have you read the update announcement thread, and specifically the second post?
:arrow_down:

3 Likes

Sorry, this is the first time an update has actually broken something for me - I’ve only been using it for a couple of years - so I didn’t think to check that thread! I’ll make sure to do that next time. How do I boot with kernal parameters?

2 Likes

Press “e” on the grub screen to edit your boot parameters.

(If you’re using Manjaro’s “quiet boot” option, you will have to press the “esc” key to view the grub menu; highlight the “Manjaro Linux” selection, then press “e” to edit the boot parameters)

Find the line that starts with the word “linux” and append the letter “s” at the end of that line (with a space before that letter “s”).

(Just the letter “s” will do - or you can use the full “systemd.unit=rescue.target” parameter)

For example, the line will end up looking something like:

linux /vmlinuz-linux root+UUID=blahblahblah rw quiet log_priority=3 s

Now press F10 (or Ctrl+x) to boot.

You will be in rescue mode, which is all text - no GUI.

3 Likes

Thanks, I accidentally put it in a line too low. That worked perfectly.

1 Like

And that’s fixed the issue, thanks!

2 Likes

What to do after entering reescue mode? Need to reboot the system and then logging in to the GUI will work normally again?

:arrow_down:

I read this. After performing the updates, there are those who experience this error, some have not. What exactly does it mean to merge “system-auth” and “system-auth.pacnew”? I’m using another Arch-like system, but I haven’t encountered such a problem.

If you have modified that file, then the update will not overwrite it and will instead create a .pacnew file. You should thus compare the two files and adapt your existing file to match the new syntax/rules/modules/whatever in the the .pacnew file.

To the best of my knowledge, I have not modified these files. Unless they may have changed automatically after one of the package updates. So if I understand correctly and this condition is not met, then after performing the updates, I probably won’t have a problem logging in to the GUI, i.e. no further action is required on this?

Correct. :slight_smile:

P.S.: Next time please start a new thread. It’s not nice to hijack an existing one. :wink:

Thank you for your reply. I asked in this thread because I didn’t understand exactly something here. I think it will be useful for others as well.

PS.: For example, why do I need to modify the files mentioned above? I haven’t needed an operation like this before, even though I’ve been using Linux for quite some time.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.