Unable to login via GDM or console after resuming from hibernate

Issue is occurring on my daughters laptop. Unable to login because ‘password authentication failed’.

We’ve tried starting from a chroot and setting a new password but that’s made no difference.

Looking through the journal:

journalctl -u gdm

We see the last successful login looked like:

started Gnome display manager
gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
gkr-pam: stashed password to try later in open session
pam_unix(gdm-password:session) session opened for user NAME(uid=1000) by NAME(uid=0)
gkr-pam: unlocked login keyring

But the next (and following attempts):

started Gnome display manager
pam_unix(gdm-password:auth) authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=/dev/tty1 ruser= rhost= user=NAME

Any suggestions for what might be wrong?

And what should we look for in the journal for a failed login on a console?

EDIT: to add, there are several gigabytes free on both / and /home partitions - removed 500mb of thumbnails in /home just in case. Made no difference.

EDIT2: gave root a passwd and can log in as root on the console! Progress, but original problem remains. Still no clue why she can’t login.

Solved. Found a clue On the Arch forums which prompted us to check whether /etc/shells listed /bin/zsh which was defined as the shell for my daughter in /etc/passwd - it wasn’t!

I re-installed zsh:

pacman -S zsh

Which added /bin/zsh and /usr/bin/zsh back to /etc/shells and she was able to log in again using the password we’d set whilst trying to fix this.

Apparently you she blindly merged the /etc/shells pacnew. Always review them and only merge new changes.

Well, not me =D

But she almost certainly did…I suggested she try manjaro-pacnew-checker - a case of a tool making it easier to shoot yourself in the foot as well as making life easier.

(She’s already uninstalled it).

Oh sorry, you said it was your daughter. Made an edit above to reflect that.

That will help discovering when there’s one available, however it does take a wee bit of knowledge to know what to do.

Maybe she’d be better off with Linux Mint for less maintenance. :wink:

Having said that, if you want to teach her about Manjaro, then I commend you. :saluting_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.