Can't install Manjaro over Fedora

Hello! I’m having trouble installing Manjaro. I have Fedora as my OS and I much prefer Manjaro over it.
Problem is, that every time I try to either format the hd via the USB Manjaro installer or try to change it, the installation stops right as it’s beginning.
The error is: “The installer failed to delete partition…”
I tried to install an Ubuntu copy over it and it worked. Afterwards, I tried to install Manjaro over Ubuntu, but Manjaro sees the HD as having Fedora still.
I don’t know that to do… Can you help, please? :slight_smile:

This reminds me of when the partitions were ‘locked’ by the fedora installer…

It hijacked my SSD.

Can you try using tool like gparted before using the installer?
(as in delete the partition, possibly reformat. You may need to make sure it is not mounted first)

It won’t let me use Gparted. It asks for my password. I’ve tried my original password, “manjaro”, “root” as it is told in the docs, but no one works. BTW: my hd is not encrypted.

Is it asking for root password? Or a partition password?

Also maybe check for lvm:

sudo lvdisplay

Note - yes user/cred should be username: manjaro password: manjaro on the ISO

About 2 months ago i had a similar problem i bought a new Lanovo laptop running a Ryzen 7 4800H , so wanted to test which distros would work with it , Mint and Ubuntu were a no go Fedora installed but it put LVM on the drive , didn’t like Fedora so tried to install Manjaro every-time the installation would fail cause of LVM.

Had to delete the LVM , then with Gparted delete all partitions

Thanks, the workaround that I’ve got was to install Ubuntu over it again, reboot so it reboots on Ubuntu. Then, install Manjaro. It’s installing now. A pain that Manjaro couldn’t do it on its own.

The Calamares installer don’t work well with LVM - this has been an issue for a very long time.

The ultra simple solution is to open a terminal - list your devices and as root execute - targeting the correct device - double check :slight_smile:

# lsblk
# sgdisk --zap-all /dev/sdy