Can't install infinality fonts renderer

I added the lines needed int the /etc/pacman.conf and import keys but this is the output when I sudo pacman -Syyu

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                     142.4 KiB  71.1K/s 00:02 [######################] 100%
 extra                   1895.2 KiB   206K/s 00:09 [######################] 100%
 community                  4.1 MiB   110K/s 00:38 [######################] 100%
 multilib                 195.2 KiB  84.1K/s 00:02 [######################] 100%
error: failed retrieving file 'infinality-bundle.db' from bohoomil.com : Connection timed out after 10000 milliseconds
error: failed to update infinality-bundle (download library error)
error: failed retrieving file 'infinality-bundle-multilib.db' from bohoomil.com : Connection timed out after 10000 milliseconds
error: failed to update infinality-bundle-multilib (download library error)
error: failed retrieving file 'infinality-bundle-fonts.db' from bohoomil.com : Connection timed out after 10000 milliseconds
error: failed to update infinality-bundle-fonts (download library error)
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do

The website isn’t reachable now (bohoomil.com), anyway is not a good moment to add them beacause they are not compatible with last harfbuzz version, it has been discussed on the forum.

1 Like

Here is a good set of instructions on how to fix the harfbuzz + Infinality issue and restoring good-looking, Infinality-like font rendering:

I followed these instructions and am happy with the result. This will also remove the infinality respositories from your system, so you won’t get the error message.

1 Like

I did install freetype2-infinality and followed some advise from that gist website. It works fine. Fonts look nice.You have to add the gpg key but its not a problem. I also edited /home/user/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf.
I’m on i3 but obviously other manjaro derivatives has it as well.

1 Like

I hope this will be fix as soon as possible

please “install” infinality as described by phil here:

1 Like

I’ve used Infinality for years, because font rendering was a PITA on basically all distros except Ubuntu, but I switched back to default freetype when v2.7 was released. It includes an Infinality-like rendering mode (see /etc/profile.d/freetype2.sh), and now font rendering is finally up to the standard you would expect from a modern distro.
Personally, I see no need anymore for Infinality unless you make heavy use of MS fonts.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark