Can't install from xfce iso, screen driver problems [AMD Radeon R6?]

1. I have a Dell Inspiron 5555 15" screen.
  2. I have downloaded the xfce iso
  3. Boot from the iso and it does show the “original” screen before pressing the enter key
  4. In terminal mode, it boots
  5. Start the graphical interface for the install. The screen looks OK for 1/2 second to 1 second, then I get this:

What can I do to make it work?

BTW, I have not tried other isos

Thanks

Syv

Which (GPU) graphic card/s?

• Intel HD Graphics 630
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M (1GB DDR3)
  • AMD Radeon R6 (Carrizo)
  • NVIDIA GeForce 920M (4GB DDR3)
  • AMD Radeon R7 M360 (2GB GDDR5)

It’s an AMD-A10 cpu/gpu 1800Mhz.

The graphic card is built in the cpu: 4 core cpu + 6 core gpu. It could be an AMD Radeon R6 (I think).

Thanks

Syv

I do not know anything, today :wink: , about AMD. Search for the correct GPU driver.
Much luck, hope other people can help.

You might want to add an external monitor if available, to see for any improvement.
Else, check the logs.
Go to TTY and inspect (or post)

journalctl -p3
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log

For how-to, read this tutorial

1 Like

Good boy, secure/privacy cover :slight_smile:

Maybe black tape look better :wink: cutting with …
sorry, I am kidding :smiley: :slight_smile:

Not in this case. I can see nothing and cannot access any log, you can see what the screen looks like from the first post. I don’t know where to click because the positions are completely off.

Thanks

Syv

Maybe you see there more?
Ctrl+Alt+F2

or live usb-stick.

I will try that later tonight

It is the live usb-stick

Thanks

Syv

After trying this and that followed by that and this, I gave up. I downloaded Manjaro KDE and it works without any problem. So the problem is definitely in the xorg settings.

The problem is that I’m used to Manjaro Xfce which is what I have on my desktop, now I going to have to learn a new desktop…

Thanks

Syv

You may install the required xfce4 packages and choose xfce from sddm.
Maybe it was lightdm or… it does’t matter.

1 Like

The problem is with xorg. It tries to set a frequency to the screen, obviously out of range:

This is not a screen capture but it says:

AMDGPU(0): EDID vendor "BOE", prod id 1633
AMDGPU(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines
AMDGPU(0): Modeline "1366x768"x0.0 70.12 1366 1414 1446 1485 768 771 777 787 +shsync -vsync (47.2 Khz eP)
AMDGPU(0): Modeline "1366x768"x0.0 60.50 1366 1414 1551 1485 768 771 777 813 +shsync -vsync (39.0 Khz e)

Is there some boot parameter so I can get the install screen?

or

A command line install program?

Thanks

Syv

In what phase are you? You said kde was working fine. Haven’t you installed kde?
Parts of logs are not much helpfull. Please describe more about your current status, if you want assistance.

Yes kde install worked, but I wanted to install xfce

I’ll try (English is not my first, nor second language)

1. Boot from the usb
  2. Highlight the boot entry and press enter.
  3. The boot from the usb stick works, until the graphical installation screen.
  4. It load the graphical interface
  5. I can see the screen where it says as the last entry/button: “Install” for about 1 second or so (could be 2 seconds), then “zap” it becomes as shown with the screen capture at the top when I opened the thread.
  6. I can switching to terminal 2 with alt-ctrl-f2.

I have googled around and I think that it tries to switch to a resolution higher than 1366x768. How can I prevent that?

Thanks

Syv

You don’t need to reinstall Manjaro for xfce4 session.
Just install xfce4-gtk3 group and manjaro-xfce-settings. Then you choose xfce DE from the login screen.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.