Can't get into KDE after installing new graphics card

Hi there. Today, I switched from an nvidia graphics card to an AMD graphics card (RX 6600 XT). Unfortunately I can’t get into my desktop environment anymore. When starting, it gets stuck at /dev/nvme0n1p5: clean, ... files, ... blocks and doesn’t do anything anymore.

I used Ctrl + Alt + F2 to get into tty2. After logging in, this message appears: xrdb: Can't open display ''. However I can still use the terminal.

Any directions? It would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if this helps, but found this thread after searching.

Maybe try to uninstall the Nvidia drivers from the TTY.

sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia

and maybe also then try to reinstall video drivers

sudo mhwd -a pci free 0300

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Configure_Graphics_Cards

Thanks for the link. The solution does not work for me (I had already tried it, I am up to date). I tried to follow the earlier advice there that was closer to my issue, but no luck either. Using mhwd, I currently only have video-linux installed. I couldn’t delete the x11 config file someone mentioned in that thread either because it doesn’t exist on my computer.

Thank you, I’ve also tried that before (stumbled across the wiki article already). Unfortunately, no luck.

Maybe same issue as one from here Black screen after hardware change/BIOS update

What kernel are you using?

Maybe same issue as one from here Black screen after hardware change/BIOS update

@bogdancovaciu That doesn’t seem to be the case (grub still works and I don’t get a black screen).

What kernel are you using?

@omano According to mhwd-kernel -li, linux510.

Try to install Linux 5.14 and reboot on this kernel.

Thank you so much! I’m now back in KDE, this worked.
For the record, my complete line of steps (I had proprietary drivers for my nvidia card before):

1. Complete system upgrade (sudo pacman -Syu)
  2. Uninstalling video-nvidia via mhwd
  3. Installing video-linux via mhwd
  4. Going from Linux 5.10 to Linux 5.14 (sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux514)
  5. Booting to that from grub.

I think simply installing a more recent kernel was the solution, I didn’t think about it before seeing the video card model when bogdan posted the link to the other thread. Recent hardware needs recent kernel to be supported usually.

Now think about following kernels cycle of life, as non LTS (LTS means Long Term Support) kernels have a short support life and get replaced regularly. So when you see in the announcement threads that the kernel you use becomes EOL (EOL means End Of Life), you need to make sure to install another kernel (the next one usually, the higher version), boot on it to confirm it is working good, and remove the other EOL kernel before it gets definitely removed from Manjaro, which happens shortly after being announced EOL.

https://www.kernel.org/category/faq.html

Keep one or two other kernels as backup too if possible, so in case of a kernel update breaking, you could boot on to another kernel.

Use the Manjaro tools to manage the kernels, either from terminal (mhwd-kernel) or from the GUI (Manjaro Settings Manager), because it will make sure it is properly installed/removed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.