Can't get into installation on Asus ROG GL752VW Optimus Laptop [SOLVED]

xfce
asus
optimus

Hello! I recently had a go at Debian but after a while I decided it was not worth the hazzle with all nvidia optimus problems and stuff which I could not get to work on my Asus ROG GL752VW Gaming Laptop.

I know all Optimus laptops are a pain to get to work with Linux but I had heard good things about Arch and Manjaro and thought that maybe it would be a better distro for me…

I am yet to even get the installer past the first screen… It keeps freezing on

“Started TLP system startup/shutdown”

and then the GPU or whatever fans goes up to 100% and nothing happens besides 100% fan speed and freeze until I manually restart the laptop…
I read about it here: Issue installing Manjaro on my ASUS GL552VX (TLP and fans spin up)
but did not find a solution to my problem. I have tried setting this at the end of the parameters line before booting the installation:

acpi_osi=! acpi_osi="Windows 2009"

But that only resulted in the fans not spinning up, the freeze still occured. I have also tried with

nouveau.modeset=0
radeon.modeset=0
i915.modeset=0

and also even removing all of those (they are there by default but not all at 0)
and leaving only

nomodeset

I had all of those at 0 at the same time, some time radeon and i915 was at 1 while nouveau at 0 but nothing worked…

What combo should I try? or any other acpi I should try? I have tried remaking the USB three times. Two times first with rufus and a third time with “Win32 Disk Imager” as described on Manjaro wiki…

Any ideas?

Thanks!

EDIT
I seem to have solved my problems for now!
What I did:

1. Installed Manjaro using Architect build
  2. Had plenty of problems with graphics drivers and booting succeeding about 50% of the time
  3. followed this to install bumblebee: https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Configure_NVIDIA_(non-free)_settings_and_load_them_on_Startup#Bumblebee_and_Steam
  4. Encounteder problems booting again because of bumblebee
  5. Added acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=“Windows 2009” to my boot arguments and the problem was solved

inxi -G output

Graphics:  Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 530
           Card-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M]
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) driver: intel
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2)
           version: 4.5 Mesa 17.3.3

optirun inxi -G

Graphics:  Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 530
           Card-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M]
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) driver: intel
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 960M/PCIe/SSE2
           version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.111

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.