Running headless Linux

OOOPPSS! Suddenly the below is moot, because the AVL system is now working with the RTX 2060. I know what I did to get it working, but I don’t fully understand it. I ran “systemctl set-default graphical.target” and booted (still connected to the new video card), and darned if the system didn’t come up and work, albeit with slightly funny aspect ratio, which I can live with. I’m very happy, but would appreciate any enlightenment about what has happened here… clearly I’m running without the fancy Nvidia driver, which can’t seem to run on real-time kernel, but apparently I’ve managed to get the video card to work in a basic way, more than good enough for what I need on the piano system. Thanks!

I have Manjaro on one computer, but this question is about another computer I have that runs a special “AVL” Linux system for my digital piano. The machine is dual boot with Windows, btw. Sorry to trouble you folks with a non-Manjaro question, but I don’t know where else to ask. My son wanted a better (than integrated graphics) graphics card on the dual-boot piano system, so I installed an RTX 2060 card, which works great with Windows. But the AVL Linux system has a real-time kernel and turns out the RTX 2060 apparently won’t work with a real-time kernel. It doesn’t come up, and when I try to install its driver I get a “can’t run with real-time kernel” error message. I can still boot up AVL with the cpu Integrated Graphics, but it’s a fair amount of trouble to do this (switching the hdmi plug, adjusting the UEFI setup) every time we want to play the piano. (Someday I will probably replace that AVL system with Manjaro.) For now, I would like to just turn off the graphics card when I boot the AVL system, and run essentially headless. No need for a monitor really, when playing piano. I got that to happen with systemctl set-default multi-user.target, and I can SSH into AVL from my Manjaro system fine - but Jack and the Pianoteq application don’t seem to come up anymore on the AVL system - and so of course the piano doesn’t work. So my question is, how can I get those apps that have a graphical interface, to come up normally, when I have the graphical interface disabled? Can I just add them to a different startup file somewhere? There are only about 3 things that need to run. Worst case, I’ll install an HDMI a/b switch and boot into the UEFI everytime we need the piano, but I was hoping for a bit better approach. Thanks in advance!!

Now that is what I would call
a wall of text.

No visible structure.
One line break
or two paragraphs with no line break.

Very difficult to read and extract the message from.

1 Like

This is a Manjaro support forum, feel free to ask for support for your Manjaro machine.
Please do not ask for support for other plattforms/distributions: