Cant for the life of me install manjaro on hyper-v

Manjaro GNOME: after services start, screen is stuck with a blinking underscore

Manjaro XFCE: failed to start lightdm services. tried manually starting it, got to the installer, installed and rebooted, but lightdm still fails to open and wont start

Manjaro KDE Plasma: sddm failed to start, cant find any fixes

Manjaro Cinnamon: lightdm fails to start, cant start it manually

How can I properly install any of these?

Are you using recent isos?

That is probably because it doesn’t work very well - if at all.

Only a handful has ever asked about it - and I really don’t think they got it working.

You could try following this guide:

It seems to be written for an Ubuntu install but that should not matter as it’s all Linux :wink:

You also might try checking other pages of this search result i guess.

What I did to get XFCE installed on HyperV, using manjaro-xfce-21.0.3-210428-linux510.iso was to switch to console 2 (CNTRL+ALT+F2) and do the following:

Press CTRL+ALT+F2 to switch to TTY2, login with manjaro/manjaro, once you have a prompt run following:

sudo pacman -Sy
sudo pacman -S xf86-video-fbdev
sudo systemctl start lightdm

Root issue is xf86-video-fbdev s missing, so lightdm fails to start. Don’t know about KDE/Gnome/Cinnamon variants, but this worked for XFCE for me

At install time, login as manjaro/manjaro, 2nd time in multi-user mode, login as an admin account (you)

1 Like

Can confirm this also works when creating and connecting to a VM from Windows Admin Center.

Only thing that wasn’t mentioned here, and I may just be an idiot, but a note:

Do not hit CTRL+ALT+F2 while the freaking thing is still scrolling boot info. It should then go to a black screen. Hit CTRL+ALT+F2 then. I tried these steps 3 times before my stupid ass figured that out.