Can't connect to WLAN from manjaro-architect and ethernet or WLAN from created installation

Updates

• Attempting to install networkmanager through pacman from MA chroot doesn’t work.
  • NetworkManager TUI which opens from MA when I don’t have ethernet connected detects my printer (which is close by and doesn’t have a password, yes ik that’s horrible) but no secure networks such as my home WiFi router (which is a room and 2 walls away).

Problem

I tried using MA for making an installation on an old-ish PC lying around in my home. An oddity I noticed first-off was that the Windows 10 installation on it beforehand was able to interface properly with both ethernet and external WiFi adapter (albeit with consistent problems on the adapter, probably owing to bad hardware).

I found that MA was able to properly use ethernet all by itself, and the installation went smoothly for the most part, except that when I booted the installation, neither ethernet nor wlan were detected, and inxi wasn’t installed! I entered system recovery mode and installed inxi by plugging in ethernet, but once I disconnected it and plugged in another WiFi adapter lying around (which flashed green while ethernet was connected), I found that it wasn’t working.

I’ve sifted through some of the existing content on the forums involving detailed departures into building git repos from source.

Info

Currently on my main pc, so inxi log is not trivially available. More info upon request.

• CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 64-bit
  • Kernel: 5.6.15-1-MANJARO (intended target was 5.4.x, idk how this came to be)
  • Ethernet Realtek RTL8111/8168/841 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet with driver: r8169
  • Wireless Adapter is detected as Realtek RTL8188EUS 802.11n Wireless Network Adapter with driver: r8188eu

WiFi adapters used (more info upon request):

• DWA-131 (no company info)
  • tp-link TL-WN725N

i could get mine detected on similar hardware [installed MA as my final destination with grub control; alongside win10 and mx]
only difference is i use cisco usb wifi stick. i never had necessity to connect to ethernet.
network manager directly asked me to key in wifi password and i coud reboot and after clean install i was prompted for wifi password once. i used MA 20.x
another issue is my wifi router and desktop are in same room.
may be the wifi router range is a shade far for the usb wifi to detect ?

Not at all. The tp-link WiFi stick connected to my main PC with Windows 10 (albeit in a manner that the stick is as visible as possible) which is right beside this test system works properly. That can’t be said for DWA-131.

did you follow this link ?

Don’t have yay outside MA yet, so I can’t get that AUR package.

Can’t get it to work since internet doesn’t work outside MA and yay doesn’t work inside MA (either refuses when in root or just doesn’t exist).

A sorry affair.

I’ve resolved to stop this charade of installing a CLI and have decided to make a standard KDE installation from live, then change the kernel to LTS.

Looks like that specific USB port wasn’t working - put tp-link on another port and everything’s super smooth on KDE.

1 Like

i didnt face any issue, i still use AUR via yay on MA. before i ventured for clean install of MA, i had a look at the steps and another lappy with the STEP–BY-STEP mode still i had messed up with uefi which i resolved. now its MA then i installed KDE and then i3

i3 looks really interesting. I’ll try it out in the future.

everything is perfect in i3 [i choose either plasma OR i3 on login] but only issue is wifi password seems to be controlled by kwallet and i3 keep asking for wifi password everytime i login to i3 ! looking for workaround !

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.