Can't connect to the internet

My router’s too far away from my computer to connect to it via ethernet, so I can’t try it and see if that works.

Here’s my pacman -Qs broadcom output:

warning: database file for 'core' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)
warning: database file for 'extra' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)
warning: database file for 'community' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)
warning: database file for 'multilib' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)
local/broadcom-wl 6.30.223.271-299
    Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver

Hmm, querying pacman’s database I don’t see any broadcom-wl package, but there’s a broadcom-wl-dkms package. How did you install broadcom-wl, because your inxi output says you don’t have a driver installed for your network adapter?

Can you connect to your wifi from the live media?

I just downloaded the package for the drivers through Windows, put it on my external hard drive, then went into Manjaro and installed it with the package manager.

And no, I couldn’t connect to the internet through the live media either.

Maybe try installing broadcom-wl-dkms and linux510-broadcom-wl (though it says it’s for BCM43142) and see if that works…

I tried installing broadcom-wl-dkms before but it required dkms, so I tried to install it only for it to require even more dependencies. I went and downloaded those as well, but then they required more dependencies and so on and so forth. And again, I can’t access the internet through Manjaro, so downloading all of that through Windows, rebooting into Manjaro, and then trying to install them seems to be my only option.

One more thing I can think of right now is trying a different kernel, e.g linux512, maybe it contains an updated driver (I don’t know how kernel development works, though)…

Have you tried other Linux distributions than Manjaro?

I haven’t tried running other distros yet, though I probably will just to see if the internet works better on any of them. And I’ll definitely try a newer kernel as well.

1 Like

Maybe this will have more answers: Broadcom wireless - ArchWiki

Also: Can't get wifi to work : Broadcom BCM4360 - #4 by Adutchman

So I just did something incredibly stupid and tried to install the Arch Linux version of the Linux kernel. I forgot that Arch and Manjaro use different versions of the kernel, so when I rebooted after installing, Manjaro just wouldn’t boot. Thankfully I was able to boot into the version of the kernel Manjaro came with using the advanced options on the boot screen and then uninstalled the Arch kernel. Now it boots fine. That said though, I can’t find any downloads for the Manjaro version of Linux 5.12, so I have no idea how I’d be able to install it without internet.

You can pick a mirror from here:
https://repo.manjaro.org/
The kernels can be found in the “core” section.

Did you check the link in my post above?

I just tried the Manjaro version of kernel 5.12 and the exact same thing happened as with the Arch version. So it seems like 5.12 just doesn’t work on my machine.

I already looked at the Broadcom page on the Arch wiki but it didn’t really help. I saw the other link you posted as well and tried to blacklist the BCMA drivers, but Manjaro wouldn’t let me make a file in the modprobe.d folder.

It would help to know what the error output said.

You could give linux511 and linux513 a try.

Did you install the kernel headers for 5.12?

1 Like

Yeah, I probably should’ve been a bit more specific. Sorry about that. I went into the /etc/modprobe.d folder and saw there wasn’t a blacklist.comf file, so I tried to make one but the option to make a new file was greyed out. I’ll try using the command line to blacklist the BCMA drivers if changing the kernel still doesn’t work.

Neither 5.12 or 5.11 were able to boot, even with the headers installed. So either only 5.10 works on my machine or I’m just installing the kernels wrong. Hopefully it’s the latter. I also was able to blacklist the BCMA drivers through the command line, but that still didn’t seem to do anything.

I think your best bet would be to do a fresh install (to get rid of any original arch package/remnants you’ve installed previously) and try to establish a LAN connection to be able to use Manjaro’s package manager(s) and tools such as mhwd for kernel installation (and updating grub etc).

I’d also recommend to at least get familiar with Linux’ directory structure and basic terminal commands, since this is where the real magic happens. Here’s a collection of useful links:

Alright, I’m now fully convinced this is a problem with Linux as a whole and not just Manjaro, because I ran Pop!_OS and Linux Mint and they wouldn’t connect to the internet either. Not even with USB tethering. In fact Pop!_OS straight-up didn’t even give me the option to use wifi.

I’m sorry to hear. Frankly, I’m a bit at a loss as to what else you could try…

I GOT WI-FI TO WORK. Turned out it really was a driver issue. First I connected to LAN with a long ethernet cable routed from my router downstairs and up into my room. Then I wiped and reinstalled Manjaro. Finally I downloaded and installed the broadcom-wl drivers as directed by this post mentioned by @anon88624618: Can't get wifi to work : Broadcom BCM4360 - #4 by Adutchman

And now wi-fi seems to work just fine. Still don’t understand why tethering didn’t work - even on other distros - but otherwise I can’t even begin to describe how relieved and excited I feel now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.