Can't change drive to read write

So I have a hdd on auto mount but it was set to read only. Additionally it’s owned by root (which what I wish to change). However I can’t change ownership because it’s read only. The fstab line looks like this:

UUID=E4CC582ACC57F570 /home/USER/Data ntfs rw,defaults 0 0

Any help?

First of all, the fact that it’s an ntfs partition suggests that you’re dual-booting with Windows, so make sure Windows Fast Boot is disabled. It does not properly shut down the filesystems, and then the Linux kernel will interpret that as a damaged filesystem and will mount it read-only to prevent further damage.

Secondly, ntfs does not support POSIX file ownership and permissions, which means that they must be faked in the virtual filesystem layer at mount time, and for the whole ntfs volume at once, not for individual files. Ergo, you cannot change ownership that way.

You need to modify the line in /etc/fstab so that the filesystem is owned by you. Look into the mount options for ntfs in… :arrow_down:

man mount

Look specifically for the uid and umask settings. Something like this might work… :arrow_down:

UUID=E4CC582ACC57F570 /home/<user>/Data ntfs-3g auto,rw,defaults,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=022,utf8 0 0
2 Likes