Cant Boot to Manjaro

Hi all,

I am using Matlab on Manjaro, but it gives some problems with OpenGL, particularly in the case of using hardware OpenGL. so when I try to plot more the less complex figures, Matlab warns me that it switches to software OpenGL and some plots maybe are not rendered properly.
I googled it and it Matlab page it was said that possible reason could be graphic cards driver.
In my system, it is Intel HD graphics 520.
I looked at Manjaro settings Drivers section and decided to try the other option for graphic card drivers (open source), which I guess was named vesa.
I installed it and after a restart, I am not able to boot my system.

it stacks in the black screen with the following on it

[   0.289125] platform MSFT0101:00: failed to claim resource 1
[   0.281311] acpi MSFT0101:00: platform device creation failed: -16
starting version 231
/dev/sda1: clean, 813215/15056896 files, 13917700/60205807 blocks

So, please, how can I fix this. first to be able to start the system and in general solve this openGL issues with matlab.

Chroot into your system and reinstall the graphics drivers.

If you installed the free video-drivers (that
broke your system), then try installing the non-free video-drivers using
the following command (while chrooted):

sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300

If you installed the non-free video-drivers (that broke your system),
then try installing the free video drivers using the following command
(while chrooted):

sudo mhwd -a pci free 0300

From @Heart-Of-A-Lion - credit where due :smiley:

Thanks a lot, I’ll just try that out :slight_smile:
anyway, can I just do the same, but without chrooting, from tty2 screen? I can access that

Yes you can.

Thanks!

So after some struggle, I was able to boot in my system :slight_smile: Thanks a lot :wink:
from tty2 I removed all graphic drivers, as well as gnome session and then reinstalled everything and that helped :smiley:
Meanwhile, I tried to install catalyst, which messed everything up and was not allowing me to remove it afterward as it has conflicting dependencies with gdm. That is why I had to remove gdm to be able to remove catalyst again. :slight_smile:

By the way, just trying to do

sudo mhwd -i pci nonfree 0300

didn’t help, as it was saying that is already configured. Here is why I went to that catalyst root.

sudo mhwd -i pci nonfree 0300 --force

btw video-vesa is actually broken on AMD and Intel hardware, because vesa xorg can not handle Kernel modesettings and wont start Xorg, on the other hand AMDGPU/Radeon and intels Kernel module enforce Kernel Modesettings.

So to use vesa (nobody wants this) it would need to set nomodeset as bootoption.

Thanks @Tids for your explanation, now I will not try to use vesa anymore :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.