Can't boot, no inittab file found, enter runlevel

Hi,

I have used manjaro linux for a while but lately i have been really strugling with it, to the point I am considering changing distros.

Recently I wiped my computer and installed the latest Manjaro GNOME Edition (17.1.10), with different partitions for boot, home and root. Everything seemed to work fine, until my computer battery died.

I am not sure if I did some software update or not, but the thing is that now I can’t boot. I get the error "no inittab file found, enter runlevel. No matter what runtime i enter, it won’t work.

Checking with a livecd i see no /etc/inittab. Any tips?

thx

Is it possible that your /boot ended up on a different disk, (or usb stick), or that your machine lost settings in the bios when it ran out of power?

Are you sure there is a bootable partition on your disk?

Did you mount your hard disk’s /root somewhere after booting with live CD?

The /boot was fine. I was able to get into the system very normal before this happened. I was now into a livecd and I could mount whatever partition I wanted, the data is there. Inittab file is missing though, can’t find it on /etc/ which is where is supposed to be right? I can’t believe the whole system breaks just because you run out of battery, that shouldn’t be that way!

inittab is no more.
Its a systemd world.

Your problem is not the lack of inittab. Post more symptoms for a better answer.

Alright! Well there’re no many other symptoms, besides the fact I can’t boot… I found in other arch forums people recommending to reinstall but I don’t want to spend hours setting up all my programs again.

What I see when I try to boot manjaro is the following:

Starting version 238
/dev/sda7: clean xxx/xxx files, xxx/xxx blocks
INIT: version 2.88 booting
INIT: no inittab file found

Enter runlevel: X
INIT: entering runlevel X
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

Being sda7 where my / is installed.

Is there something I can maybe look for from A livecd?

Thanks for your help.

Can you boot from the install media into the installed system? If that works, then once you are in your system, just run from terminal:
sudo pacman -Syyu
so you are sure you have the system updated
then update grub
sudo update-grub

If you can’t boot from the install media to your installed system, you might have to restore the boot loader on the installed system, by chroot, following this
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader

or better this

Will try that! I did update-grub yesterday and it didn’t work, but I certainly didn’t try to reinstall it, maybe that would do.

Yeah I understood #2. How to boot into my installed system then? That’s exactly what I’m trying to do and I get those error messages…

That option I see when I run the manjaro livecd. I am using EFI yes, so I will try that one. Thanks for the further clarification!!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.